Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 XPloyer Oil Injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 XPloyer Oil Injection

Hello All,

Just picked up a 1999 300 Exployer 4x4. I am thinking of disconnecting the oil injection and mixing oil/gas. Are there any reasons I should not do it??

Thanks, looking forward to the forum.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum! WHY?? Ever body gets scared on oil pumps!! Pumps on the 400 I can under stand as they are subject to mud,water,etc and can freeze up,but the only time I can remember an oil pump change on the 250 or 300 was the first year model 300's when only a few of the first 300's had a drive gear made out of plastic!I only found this out when I tore one down when the owner ran it dry of oil and seized it up! This was an early 94 300 2x4 and was changed back to metal very quickly! I called A Polaris engineer about this and said Fugi Motors had already changed back to metal!(Tried going cheap I guess??) Even on the Polaris parts breakdown shows the original number and its substituted number! Best way to tell if pump is working: first bleed the 10mm bolt on top of the pump body to remove any possible trapped air,remove the small oil line going to the carb,(block off inlet tube on carb with your finger) throw a little oil in the fuel tank if you are scared! Crank it up and hold the oil pump lever ALL the way up at idle! You should then see the oil dribble slowly out of the line! Anything mechanical can go out and I'm sure a few have, but in 22 years I never replaced a pump on a 250 or 300! Block off kits are out there if you are still determined to remove it! OPT

Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Welcome to the forum! WHY?? Ever body gets scared on oil pumps!! Pumps on the 400 I can under stand as they are subject to mud,water,etc and can freeze up,but the only time I can remember an oil pump change on the 250 or 300 was the first year model 300's when only a few of the first 300's had a drive gear made out of plastic!I only found this out when I tore one down when the owner ran it dry of oil and seized it up! This was an early 94 300 2x4 and was changed back to metal very quickly! I called A Polaris engineer about this and said Fugi Motors had already changed back to metal!(Tried going cheap I guess??) Even on the Polaris parts breakdown shows the original number and its substituted number! Best way to tell if pump is working: first bleed the 10mm bolt on top of the pump body to remove any possible trapped air,remove the small oil line going to the carb,(block off inlet tube on carb with your finger) throw a little oil in the fuel tank if you are scared! Crank it up and hold the oil pump lever ALL the way up at idle! You should then see the oil dribble slowly out of the line! Anything mechanical can go out and I'm sure a few have, but in 22 years I never replaced a pump on a 250 or 300! Block off kits are out there if you are still determined to remove it! OPT
What a great reply, Thanks a ton. Nope, I am not hard over on blocking it off, especially now that you have explained the testing procedure, although I do not know where all these gadgets are yet on the bike. I need to get a service repair manual. Any suggestions????? When I purchased my 75HP Mercury in 1987 the dealer actually encouraged me to remove the oil injection external tank and mix gas. I have an old 2 cycle Yamaha (1978 I believe) and we mix oil no problem. However, with your testing procedure I will check everything. Just seems simple to me to mix the gas/oil and be done with it, my thought was to eliminate a potential failure. BTW, retired here and loving it as well. Albeit my garage is anything but empty.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Best manual is the factory one,but a Clymer for most things will be good enough! Good luck with the Explorer. Other members may have a few sites for down loading manuals,only one that comes to my mind is Partshark.com. I hated Mercury!! I'm the "retired mechanic" for my son's "toys". He first had an old Terry bass boat with a 79 Johnson 80 hp (premix) that I would trust going anywhere! Then he sold it and had a 150 Black Max fish and ski(junk,junk,junk!) started good on the muffs,but hard once in the water!! Worked on it constantly! Now he has a 20' G3 pontoon with an 80 hp 4-stroke Yamaha(best motor I've come across!) OPT

Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Best manual is the factory one,but a Clymer for most things will be good enough! Good luck with the Explorer. Other members may have a few sites for down loading manuals,only one that comes to my mind is Partshark.com. OPT
I'll check out both leads you provided, thanks. <Maybe someone will chime in on a source as well. Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i found my polaris factory sevice manual for my 2002 trailblazer 250 on ebay for 25 dollars,,,, think the dealer wanted like 55?? mght have been 65 dollars,, might try there,,