Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How Hard Is It To Get Right

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hard Is It To Get Right

Why don't ATV manufactures put the battery in a super easy accessible place. Why tuck it under the frame and plastic in odd places. To add something to a battery post, or change it out should not take an extra 30 minutes of disassemble time. My son's 90 Sportsman has it right, pop the seat and its right there on top with easy access. My 500 has me crawling around in the dirt to take off a strap, wrestle with a cover, and then tilting the battery to get it out of the box. Many other brands are much worse than this, requiring fender pulls. Short of putting air in the tires, this should be the easiest thing you have to fiddle with on a quad.

End of rant, carry on.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery on my Honda is right under the seat.

The battery on my Polaris Touring is right under the front lock and ride box.

Bot easily accessable.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

The older Sportsman batteries are much easier to remove and install if; 1) You stop by a machine shop and custom fabricate your own special tools and 2) you stick your arm in a vice and snap it half way down the forearm to give it the extra flexibility needed to bend 90 degrees twice to reach the battery location. Then you need to know the secret Polaris 'combination' needed to extract the battery through the maze of frame members and wiring harnesses requires; spin the battery twice to the right, lower it, spin it left once and move it forward, spin it back to the right then turn it until its on its side....

It's totally worth spending the extra $ to get the Odyssey battery and be done with it. They usually last at least 7 and up to 12 years. They don't surprise you by going dead suddenly (and at the worst possible time), they start slowly winding down at the end of their life, so you get a warning.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

can-am did, does not get much easier then slipping it right out the back after releasing one rubber strap....

Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by davidaz
The older Sportsman batteries are much easier to remove and install if; 1) You stop by a machine shop and custom fabricate your own special tools and 2) you stick your arm in a vice and snap it half way down the forearm to give it the extra flexibility needed to bend 90 degrees twice to reach the battery location. Then you need to know the secret Polaris 'combination' needed to extract the battery through the maze of frame members and wiring harnesses requires; spin the battery twice to the right, lower it, spin it left once and move it forward, spin it back to the right then turn it until its on its side....

It's totally worth spending the extra $ to get the Odyssey battery and be done with it. They usually last at least 7 and up to 12 years. They don't surprise you by going dead suddenly (and at the worst possible time), they start slowly winding down at the end of their life, so you get a warning.
Could be the reason my old hands don't want to work anymore along with the RA! Guess you figured out what it takes to be a Polaris tech OPT

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Range Rover
Smile

Originally Posted by beergut
can-am did, does not get much easier then slipping it right out the back after releasing one rubber strap....

That's because there's no room in the front part, it is taken up by a super high tech three wheel drive system that senses which tire is stuck on the rock so that it can send power to the other front tire that is up in the air.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

That's because there's no room in the front part, it is taken up by a super high tech three wheel drive system that senses which tire is stuck on the rock so that it can send power to the other front tire that is up in the air.
That's funny. I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

huh? I don't get it.

The visco front diff takes up no more room than any other front diff.

Sounds like you've never been on a new can-am.... because what you described in your response has never been the case on any of the 7 can-am's that I've owned

Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My ATV sat for 6 months and and the battery was dead so I jumped started it with my truck. Can,t even imagine an easier place to place a battery on a ATV.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you think your atv is bad you should see what i have to take out to get to my battery on my apex

Quick Reply: How Hard Is It To Get Right