Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's the best ATV trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven95150
Another thing to watch is the tires, they are many times the weakest link in the whole trailer. My trailer has 12" wheels. When I got it, it had 5.30-12 bias ply tires on it that were rated for something like 900 lbs each. I'm sure these tires were overloaded and they got pretty hot when towing with just 2 quads on the trailer. I found some ST145R12 radial tires that are rated for 1500 lbs each. Even though these tires are actually smaller and spin faster, they barely get warm even with 3 quads on the trailer.
Great point. In general, I go with the highest weight rating on trailer tires. Better to have more than you need than less.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a homemade trailer, it's a little on the small side (64"x84"). I've been thinking about removing the front bar so that I can load one ATV onto the bed of the truck with the trailer attached.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

This is a 2009 10 x 6.5 H & H all aluminum trailer with a 550XP on it - great trailer.

Attached Thumbnails What's the best ATV trailer?-pb150001.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Range Rover

I purchased the Triton ATV128 about 5 months ago and I'm loving it...

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

I have 3 trailers. My quad trailer is very 22', I had it designed for 4 quads and a Ranger, I had it built with a frame and a subframe. This made it much more ridgid and gave it a substantial lift for going through washes or when I have to go down a steep incline so that the back didn't scrap, due to it's length.

I also put in removable side rails that serve as ramps for side loading, depending on the loading configuration that I need. I put a storage box on the tongue for straps, jacks, locks and spare beltsets. I had two mounts welded underneath the trailer for spare tires. Having them underneath saves space and damage from the sun.

Probably the best thing that I did was went to 8 ply tires, the 6 ply's always blew out.

Another trailer is for one quad or yard debris. The other is a flat bed with a winch, it comes in handy when my 6.0 liter Ford Diesel breaks down, which is quite often. I just have to call up a friend with a Dodge or Chevy to pull me to the shop.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Single Axle Utility Trailer w/Hi-Sides, Johnson Trailer, Colfax Wisconsin

I have the 6.5'X12' high side from Johnson trailer. The high sides are great. I can get 2 sportsmans on it, granted...the front wheeler has to climb the front "wall", with the tires over the rail. But works well. Don't think you'd get a kids machine on there as well though.

The trailers from Johnson a VERY well built...not under built like so many on the market! Good axles, tires, paint and heavy gauge steels. Good trailers! I get compliments on mine often as to the build quality and style. Works perfect for my single machine and Clam ice house...which is what I bought it for.

As for flat bed or sled trailers...I ran a alum. karavan 8x12 for a few years prior to the high side. Don't think that alum. doesn't corrode...especially on the salt roads, as a word of warning. I liked the space of the karavan, you'd fit the machines you speak on it. The lack of sides is something that ALWAYS bothered me...get to my destination and the machines would be covered in road grime, rock chips or caked with dirty ice in the winter.....not so good on you throttle, handle bars and switches. I mention this because I see your from the north. They also have no tie down points...unless you install them yourself. The lack of sides also worried me because if a strap breaks, and they do...your machine is gone! I sold mine a few days aftrer I watched a new grizz go bouncing down the highway at 70!! His other new grizz was fine and strapped correctly, but the front strap on the other machine broke...by, by atv. It worried me to the point of driving straight to Colfax WI and buying a high side...broken strap, my machine isn't going anywhere.

For obvious reasons a high side may not work for you...but at least consider one with the 12" sides, more tie down points...a little security if you break a strap, etc. Like this one, it has 12" sides, 2 ramps, etc...Single Axle Utility Trailer w/Side Rails and ATV Package, Johnson Trailer, Colfax Wisconsin

One thing I know for sure, I won't buy another sled style trailer without sides, and without tie down points. When I buy another it will be well built trailer, like the maker of the above but it will be a high side galvanized.

Wenty

Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Range Rover

Sides do give some extra security, but if you tie down properly you don't need to worry about losing a machine, even on a flatbed. Mine get 4 straps each (one at each corner) plus another strap that goes all the way across the trailer and through both frames. It would take several straps breaking for them to even think about moving. I also stop every 50 miles or so to check that everything is still secure and make sure the tires and wheel bearings aren't getting hot.

99% of the people that lose things off their trailer are because they are using either old worn out/frayed straps that break, or those pull type straps instead of ratchet straps, (whoever invented those things ought to be shot) or they simply don't have their things tied down properly.

Even with sides on the trailer, you can still lose your cargo if it's not tied down properly.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raven95150
Sides do give some extra security, but if you tie down properly you don't need to worry about losing a machine, even on a flatbed. Mine get 4 straps each (one at each corner) plus another strap that goes all the way across the trailer and through both frames. It would take several straps breaking for them to even think about moving. I also stop every 50 miles or so to check that everything is still secure and make sure the tires and wheel bearings aren't getting hot.

99% of the people that lose things off their trailer are because they are using either old worn out/frayed straps that break, or those pull type straps instead of ratchet straps, (whoever invented those things ought to be shot) or they simply don't have their things tied down properly.

Even with sides on the trailer, you can still lose your cargo if it's not tied down properly.
I see in your pic...you added tie down points. So many people just make due and "that'll work"...you want the extra mile, or someone did. I cringe anytime I see a flatbed and they have the hooks under the trailer and strap rubbing up along the side, it's right where they always frey. Most flat beds don't have good tie points unless you add them. Yep...even high sided trailers need the load secured, but I do appreciate the added security and cleaner machine, especially in the winter. Before I sold my flat bed I made a diamond plate wall for the front, helped keep the machines clean"er", worked well.

Pretty scary driving down the highway and seeing all the rum heads pulling poorly secured loads...you know who you are. There are probably more terrible tie down, no working lights, bad tire, cracked frame, loose shackle trailers on the road than good ones. Nice to see at least a few of us take care of our trailers and properly secure a load.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wenty
I see in your pic...you added tie down points. So many people just make due and "that'll work"...you want the extra mile, or someone did. I cringe anytime I see a flatbed and they have the hooks under the trailer and strap rubbing up along the side, it's right where they always frey. Most flat beds don't have good tie points unless you add them. Yep...even high sided trailers need the load secured, but I do appreciate the added security and cleaner machine, especially in the winter. Before I sold my flat bed I made a diamond plate wall for the front, helped keep the machines clean"er", worked well.

Pretty scary driving down the highway and seeing all the rum heads pulling poorly secured loads...you know who you are. There are probably more terrible tie down, no working lights, bad tire, cracked frame, loose shackle trailers on the road than good ones. Nice to see at least a few of us take care of our trailers and properly secure a load.
When I did the eye bolts for tie downs I got pretty beefy ones and used the nyloc lock nuts on them. As long as the straps don't break they're going nowhere, or at least not off the trailer. Oh, and make sure to drill through metal to add tie downs. Don't go through a thin sheet of plywood. I've seen where the tie downs have pulled off leaving a hole in the plywood.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Range Rover

Yes, I did add tie down points. I actually pretty much rebuilt the whole trailer. It was originally a camper and the previous owner made it into a flatbed, I bought it from him for $100 and it actually worked just fine the way it was for a while, but then I decided to do some upgrades. I beefed up the frame, replaced the 2000# axle with a 3500# torsion axle, replaced old plywood decking with 2x10 planks, new tires, paint, all new LED lights and wiring, and tongue jack.

Quick Reply: What's the best ATV trailer?