Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Member.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member.

Hi everyone, my name is Joe and own a 1999 Polaris 400 Sport (not sure what the actual model is called but Ive heard everything from Xplorer to Predator.

Anyway I wanted to join to learn more about my quad and how to work on carburetor engines. It looked like this when I bought it.

I took a little paint to it and ended up looking like this.

Anyway I wanted to find a diagram of where the vent lines are routed to, I went riding yesterday and after 30-45 minutes the bike stalled and shut off. I couldnt get it started so I ended up towing back to the truck and tearing it apart when I got home. I found that it was pouring gas from the left side of the carb where a vent line was missing so I need to replace it and route it to where it goes.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a 2wd Scrambler to me. I don't have a diagram for you though.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

400 sport and the scrammy use a lot of the same parts.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, what's the difference between a Sport and a Scrambler?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Main difference is that the Sport is 2wd while, the Scrambler was 4wd in 1999. (99 model year was last year of the Sport and was replaced by the Scrambler 400 2x4 in 2000 also first year of the Explorer). If your pouring gas out of the air intake vent of the carb,might be time to replace the needle and seat and check the float arm and pin for wear. Just install new vent lines to the carb and route them up along the throttle and choke cable underneath the fuel tank a little ways. At the bottom of the carb just run a tube down past the bash plate for the overflow from the carb. Plenty of things to maintain though, like the counter balancer fluid (30wt oil is fine,takes 75ccs!) Plus check the dipstick under the carb for the counter balancer fluid level,make sure it's not milky colored( water pump seals leaking into counter balancer cavity) OPT

Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Welcome to the forum! Main difference is that the Sport is 2wd while, the Scrambler was 4wd in 1999. If your pouring gas out of the air intake vent of the carb,might be time to replace the needle and seat and check the float arm and pin for wear. Just install new vent lines to the carb and route them up along the throttle and choke cable underneath the fuel tank a little ways. At the bottom of the carb just run a tube down past the bash plate for the overflow from the carb. Plenty of things to maintain though, like the counter balancer fluid (30wt oil is fine,takes 75ccs!) Plus check the dipstick under the carb for the counter balancer fluid level,make sure it's not milky colored( water pump seals leaking into counter balancer cavity) OPT
Thanks for the info, I have cleaned the carb and adjusted the float a month ago. It's been running fine until yesterday when I guess that vent line fell off.

This is a pic off of google but it was pouring gas from the dark colored line that you see to the right of the picture (next to the drain plug)

What size are these lines and where can I get new ones? The ones on here are older than ****.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Now that you have it off replace the needle and seat! Plus check if the float arm is wobbly from side to side! If it is, best to replace it and the float pin. These items wear heavily on the 400 engine from vibration! Plus just add new vent lines and route em under the tank,zip tie em to the throttle cable.Plus if you said it was leaking from the bottom overflow line,it's definitely ready for the needle and seat at least! Just 3/16" or 1/4" vinyl tubing available at most auto stores. OPT

Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's just some random picture from google, mine isn't out yet but can easily be removed if needed. I'm no pro on carburetor engines so don't know the first thing to look for.

Any clue on where I can get new vent lines and what size it is?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry I'm slow! I edit a lot of my posts while members post again! 3/16" or 1/4" tubing ,just take some with you to the auto store to match up! If you have problems on the carb there will ALWAYS be somebody on board to help you out Plus a good area for parts is Cycle Parts Warehouse,shows the break down on components and prices that are about as cheap as any online! Cheaper than the dealers. OPT

Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sorry I'm slow! I edit a lot of my posts while members post again! 3/16" or 1/4" tubing ,just take some with you to the auto store to match up! If you have problems on the carb there will ALWAYS be somebody on board to help you out Plus a good area for parts is Cycle Parts Warehouse,shows the break down on components and prices that are about as cheap as any online! Cheaper than the dealers. OPT
Awesome, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: New Member.