Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Loose Plugs on Outlaw 525

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuses are fine. I checked all the wiring around there and the plugs but they're fine too.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Then sounds like you need to keep checking for any shorts in the harness or replace it? Depending on year model the harness is a little over $200 at Cycle Parts Warehouse. Sometimes you can tear a harness apart and spend hrs and never find the problem. OPT

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright I'll look a little deeper in the harness and see if I find anything. We may end up buying a a new wiring harness to see if that works. I'll get back with you later if it works or not.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think it is an electrical problem any more. It's not even pull starting now. The wheels just lock up. Any thought of what kind of problem could cause this?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What was the compression reading, does it have spark at the plug? does it roll in neutral? If it's not electrical(has good spark),if compression is good,then could be transmission problem? When you say wheels are locking up are you talking about trying to pull start the machine again with another machine,if so just check the fire and compression,should be able to find something wrong! OPT

Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

We can't get a compression reading. It won't even turn over with the spark plug off. I know it has spark. Rolls in neutral. Impossible to get it to roll in any gear (1-5 and reverse).

When we could get it running we had checked the compression and it was good. I'm thinking it could be the starter clutch. May be the reason the starter can't turn it over too. What do you think?

We're going tear into the motor hopefully tonight and check it out.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kinda understanding what you're saying now,could be the sprague(starter clutch) if the starter won't work,just spins,or locked up. Have replaced them before on a lot of street bikes.Or the starter itself? Good luck, keep us updated. OPT

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright we tore into the motor. Transmission was fine so we got into the other and top end, and the timing chain had broke.

It looked like one of the silver hammer things that tap the valves had broken, must have hit that auto decompression thing on the cam, then something broke the chain (Possibly pull starting it). So we had to cut out the chain and figured out it had messed up some more stuff in there, nothing major. We're just waiting on all out parts to get here to get it back together.

We also figured out that it has an aftermarket piston on it, probably a higher compression one. So hopefully it will start with everything fixed, but if not then were going to see if there is some sort of kick start kit for it or find a starter with some more torque.

I'll keep you updated when the parts get it.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

So it does have some Work done to it. It definatly has a high compression piston. That's probably been out problem the whole time because the starter can't turn the engine over. We just ordered a new high torque starter, and if that doesnt work, we are going to try to find a kick start kit for it. But I haven't had any luck on a kick start for it, so hopefully this starter will work.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

We had my neighbor look at the Outlaw before we bought that starter. It looks like we are missing a ground wire to the battery. (We have one, this picture has two.)
#5 is the ground wire. We are missing one of them.

Anyone know what it goes to?

Quick Reply: Loose Plugs on Outlaw 525