Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new to the site and am looking for some guidence...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the site and am looking for some guidence...

Hey guys. As the title explains, I'm new to the site and need a little help. I've got starting issues with my 2000 sportsman 500. As of now the solenoid clicks as soon as I press the start button. So far I've replaced the starter, bendix and battery. Usually I was able to hook cables up and jump it from the car. Doesn't work anymore... I've tried jumping the solenoid and nothing. All lights works long with the interment pannel. From what I've read, it sounds like the starter but that doesn't make sense. Its only a month old. Electric problems are not my favorite and it's driving me nuts. Lemme know what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I'm going to move this to the Polaris section. You'll get all the help you need over there.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like maybe you need to replace the solenoid if you haven't hurt any thing else by jumping off with a car battery! You can just jump the solenoid wire terminals with a screw driver and see if the starter works,if not,then somethings wrong in the starter,bendix(gearshft) area! If starter works,then could possibly be the solenoid.You can always check with a test light also if power is going to the starter wire from the solenoid when you push the start button. OPT

Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. as mentioned it sounds like the starter is the issue. try opt's suggestion for the testing the solenoid. if you do use a car to jump the bike in the future, have the car not running as the out put of the alternator could damage the atv's electronics form over ampage.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well guys, I tinkered with it a little more this afternoon. Oddly enough, I gave the starter a little tap and it started right up. This leads me to another question.... Why do I need to tap it haha? Thanks again for the help. Now I can go have some fun ive fishing tomorrow

Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Starter probably has dirt/trash in it. You can either take it apart,clean,replace brush kit if needed OR check DB Electric. Starters are cheap. OPT

Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by upnorthsds
Oddly enough, I gave the starter a little tap and it started right up. This leads me to another question.... Why do I need to tap it haha?
Its trying to tell you something, time to peak inside!
Ken

Old 02-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

when the bike is driven in mud/water sometimes it will get in and starter area and then cause issues. most likely a good cleaning is all it will need or he mentioned a set of brushes. it's not an uncommon issue in the older bikes.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Mine did that ,clicked at the solenoid. Turned out the starter brushes where dirty and not sliding.I took the starter apart and cleaned the starter brushes and got them sliding freely once more, been good for 3 years now.

Love to know how many perfectly good starters where trashed and replaced just because of a sticky brush. LOL

Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by TLC
Mine did that ,clicked at the solenoid. Tuned out the starter brushes where dirty and not sliding.I took the starter apart and cleaned the starter brushes and got them sliding freely once more, been good for 3 years now.

Love to know how many perfectly good starters where trashed and replaced just because of a sticky brush. LOL
i'm betting 100's. most likey most from dealers lol.