Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 runs bad/quits when fan come on

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 runs bad/quits when fan come on

Anyone had this problem before? The machine runs good until it gets warm enough for the fan to come on. Once the fan come on it misses, spits and sputters and sometimes backfires. Especially when you get on the throttle. When it quits it starts hard too.

Ive done some trouble shooting of my own. I found and replaced a hose that goes to the oil reserve with a slit in it. It didnt really leak any oil just a light film on the hose and in the air box. I also replaced the fan becasue the bearing was going bad anyway. Even with the new fan it still runs like crap.

Also, if i run the winch in and hold on it a second too long, the entire display/speedometer lights go out and the wheeler quits.

Could this be the begining stages of a bad stater???

Thanks for the help in advance...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Have you checked your battery connections?

John

Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Along with checking/replacing the battery as mentioned,if you replaced the top vent hose that has a slit in it,make another slit in the new hose about 2 inches out from the fitting! This slit is there on purpose for condensation drain and to keep the line from freezing in cold temperatures! Does sound like a battery since when any current is drawn from it the display goes out and the machine quits. If you do replace the battery make sure its charging 14 volts back to the battery when running to make sure it's not another of the ECM modules that have a habit of going out! Your model is under a free recall on the module if you haven't had it replaced,plus even some of the replacements have gone out! OPT

Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you cleaned your rad lately? Check battery connections and check coolant level.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. The battery connections all seem to be tight. It is the original battery, so maybe i should replace it. I didnt know a dying battery would do that tho.

Good info on the slit in the hose. Ill get on that.

I also noticed if i run the winch with just the key on, it sends fuel each and every time. Ill get a battery this week and see if these problems go away.

Thanks for the heads up on the recall too!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

If it's an EFI model, have you ever checked for any codes?

John

Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

6 years on an oem battery is about as good as it gets! Stay with Yuasa or Interstate for OEM or you can spend the bucks for the newer technology batteries. Be sure to check the charging also just in case the ecm might be starting to act up! If the ecm module is BLACK,have it replaced if you haven't already! OPT

Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is EFI. Its only been 6 months or so since it was at the dealer. They said no codes and they told me there wasnt even a history of any codes.

Ill look into the ecm module soon. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Now we know that it's an efi ,it doesn't have an ecm module,only carb models do! It does though have a big controller module down by the radiator that do sometimes have problems! If you ever have an electrical problem this is the module to check out. OPT

Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

haha well you can certainly tell, im not exactly a mechanic.

Quick Reply: 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 runs bad/quits when fan come on