Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

heavy duty springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by readymixer169
I actually don't mind the rear springs as is. I have them adjusted to about 1/2 from maxed out and they seem to work well for me at 250lb. I want the ride as soft as possible in back without bottoming out the shocks. Make the IRS work for me. Might be a little different with the new springs up front???
I agree with you about the rears, under normal riding conditions, but there are certain times when I wish they were stiffer...I made a 2 in. receiver for my machine years ago and have a rack that slides into it..When loaded with wood or a whitetail, the rear really sags...Guess I should just get a trailer...lol...sorry for the hijack...
You will be able to change out your front springs without and compressors, just make sure you only lower the axle just enough to slide new spring in without cv sliding out..At least that's how it worked with my EPI's...Very easy job... You'll be happy I'm sure with the results...
John

Old 02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't know about the heavier springs on front, but the spacers i added brought the front end up and didn't change how the back rode on either the 500 or 800's. my stock 500 will take my wife and me w/ out bottoming out, so the back isn't too bad. just my

Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

is the ride noticeable harsher with the HD springs?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gtsum2
is the ride noticeable harsher with the HD springs?
I wouldn't say "harsher"...It made my steering more responsive and you don't get that nose diving in corners at speed...Definitely helped with the plow weight also...

John

Old 02-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
I wouldn't say "harsher"...It made my steering more responsive and you don't get that nose diving in corners at speed...Definitely helped with the plow weight also...

John
Good to hear..I recently bought a new 2012 sportsman and it does want to dive a bit in a hard corner (outside front wheel)...I will not be plowing (neighbors thought I was crazy for getting a snowblower a few years back). We got our first snow of the year last week..all of 5 inches

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

What can I do with the rear. On my 05 there is no adjustment in the shock, and the tire always tilts in on the rear, and rides on the inside. A heavier spring would stop it, and keep the back tires flatter on the ground. It's been that way since it was new.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by _Kong_
What can I do with the rear. On my 05 there is no adjustment in the shock, and the tire always tilts in on the rear, and rides on the inside. A heavier spring would stop it, and keep the back tires flatter on the ground. It's been that way since it was new.
You should have an adjustment at the bottom of the spring...

John

Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
You should have an adjustment at the bottom of the spring...

John
Ditto, If it doesn't have an adjustment it's not right. Did you buy it new or from a person who may have tampered with it/changed the stock suspension? Even if the springs are weak on the rear the wheel should not tilt in. I don't think it's possible unless something else is going on.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Trailblazer

where is everyone buying their polaris HD springs? the dealer cant possibly be selling them for $50ish per pair?!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by some zilch
where is everyone buying their polaris HD springs? the dealer cant possibly be selling them for $50ish per pair?!
I found them on EBAY for $80 shipped, polaris msrp is $75 and if I'm not mistaken my local dealer has them for about $60 last I looked. I'll know sometime towards the later part of the week when ever I make it in to buy some. Believe it or not sometimes you can get a better deal if you deal face to face with someone. I've been noticing that some things are beginning to cost more online vs. in store most likely because of the shear convenience factor. For example: Ebay I noticed that some sellers are selling tires for a higher price than my dealer can get them for. Of course shipping costs are going to be a contributing factor. And for those that say free shipping? well I really doubt it. The shipping is figured in to the overall price to give you that feeling of getting a better deal when really your not. On the other hand my dealer does not pay shipping cost from there distributors since they move so much merchandise per year. I'm not sure if that would apply to any dealership or just the ones that do a higher volume of business?

Quick Reply: heavy duty springs