Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just bought a 98 400 scrambler 4x4 couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 98 400 scrambler 4x4 couple questions

So im new just picked this quad up. First question i paid 800 for it not sure if that was a good buy? No real problems body is in decent shape shape but has been ridden. Started right and everything seems to work besides the lo lights. Tires have plugs and the chain is lose is there a way to tighten it? also any other things I should check into that these are none to have problems with?

thanks everyone

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Best to get a manual as there are a lot of maintenance items on the Scrambler. As far as tightening the chain: Loosen the two 5/8" pinch bolts holding the rear eccentric housing. You can use a small punch and inset it through the sprocket and roll the wheel back and forth until it locks in the housing,then roll forward and the eccentric will turn and start to tighten up the chain. Stop when you have about 1/2" slack in the middle of the chain,remove the punch and tighten the bolts. OPT

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

As far as maintenance. What are some simple things I can do to start? Overall is this a decent quad from your experience or knowledge of them. Just went out on a limb and bought it.

thanks for your help

Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

MOST important things are the hub fluid and front gear case oil and the transmission. Hubs take Polaris Demand Drive Hub Fluid only! Transmission takes Polaris AGL fluid,front gear case can use 80/90 GL5 lube. Hubs have 3/16" allen drain plug, pull the plug(normal to have shavings on it)drain at 6 o'clock,fill at 12 o'clock until full,turn to 3 or 4 o'clock and drain the excess(little extra won't hurt) front gear case has a 7/16" drain bolt,9/16:fill plug at the top,drain and fill to bottom of threads. Transmission has bottom drain plug, should have a dipstick(OR fill bolt),can't remember on quantity(16-20 ounces) just check dip stick when you add 16 ounces(or fill to bottom of threads if you just have a 9/16" fill plug bolt) Tired of typing,get a manual! OPT

Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

So only polaris fluids can be used? There are no substitutes that I could pick up at auto parts place?

Again thanks for your help

Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

For the tranny you can use oil that's recommended for chain driven transmission cases,The hubs used to use Type F transmission fluid(but the Demand Drive Plus hub fluid is better and a bottle will go a long way)
The front gear case can use 80/90 GL5(what I used to use) instead of Polaris Brand gear oil. OPT

Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the help. Sorry I dont have a manual yet.

I have been trying to youtube and find directions on
tighteningthe chain. Can you give me advice on this or where I can find step by step instructions. Again i apreciate your help! Sorry for all the questions

Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check my first post to you about the chain! OPT

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks opt!

I was able to ge the chain adjusted and it seems to be good. I road it a little bit and I came across 2 more questions

1 - after riding it for a bit i parked it and put it in nuetral and it began to idle really high. I turn it off and turn it back on put it in drive and idles again just fine.

2 - while riding it If i punch the gas hard it makes a griding noise but pics up. This ony happens when i punch it or punch it going up a hill. I dont think its the back sprocket could it be the front? If i just ride it at a decent speed sounds great.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

3rd.now I was able to get agl and demand fluid from dealer. I was able to do trans fine but can not find the hubs to change the fluid. Sorry I'm waiting on manual to come. Any help with this would be great pics or where a video is posted to see where the hub is and where the plug is would be great

Quick Reply: Just bought a 98 400 scrambler 4x4 couple questions