Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Well hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well hello!

I am crossing over from the Suzuki 230 Quadsport area of the forum, seeing as I just traded it for a 2001 Trailblazer 250

wanted to say hello and of course I have my new to me owner questions...

This is a bit of a jump for me, just came from a 4 stroke, kickstart, clutch machine to a auto, electric start, 2 stroke. But hey, it has four wheels still!

Curious as to a few things the old owner told me.

1) he mixes gas and did not use the tank in front. said its something he does to prevent the chance of the oil pump stopping and burning the motor up. is this common practice? the red oil light flickers and he said thats because of the no oil in the front tank. Can I continue to do this or should i allow the bike to mix for me. Is the a shut off prevention built in in case the pump does stop?

2) it fires right up with the electric start and when in H (has H-N-R) H is for high I guess? you have to get the rpms up a bit to get it moving, nothing crazy but definitely different from my former letting the clutch out and feeling the clutch grab at any rpm. Normal automatic characteristics?

3) it rides good but when i went to load it on my trailer (tilt bed), it wouldn't climb up to get over the break over point of the tilt, he said here let me, and rode it right up, i guess being used to a clutch i was afraid I would burn something up but in this situation since he made it look easy I guess its my getting used to the feel of the torque?

All in all it was a great trade, my kids hated the kick start and clutch and this remedies that, along with a major jump in age, going from a 1987 to a 2001 (even trade, i have no clue why!), those Suzuki quad sports were getting harder and harder to find parts for (look at me two hours into it and I'm all ready a convert and bad mouthing my previous bike, lol) I know they are going to love it.

Is there any specifics i should look for as i get to know the bike? I already know it has a new chain (a +) and that the rear caliper is leaking (minor -), and the tube under the seat going into the air cleaner is half-a$$'d on there (looks like the rubber boot to hold it in is shot)

i appreciate the info and look forward to bothering you all with questions

Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevbz
I am crossing over from the Suzuki 230 Quadsport area of the forum, seeing as I just traded it for a 2001 Trailblazer 250

wanted to say hello and of course I have my new to me owner questions...

This is a bit of a jump for me, just came from a 4 stroke, kickstart, clutch machine to a auto, electric start, 2 stroke. But hey, it has four wheels still!

Curious as to a few things the old owner told me.

1) he mixes gas and did not use the tank in front. said its something he does to prevent the chance of the oil pump stopping and burning the motor up. is this common practice? the red oil light flickers and he said thats because of the no oil in the front tank. Can I continue to do this or should i allow the bike to mix for me. Is the a shut off prevention built in in case the pump does stop?

2) it fires right up with the electric start and when in H (has H-N-R) H is for high I guess? you have to get the rpms up a bit to get it moving, nothing crazy but definitely different from my former letting the clutch out and feeling the clutch grab at any rpm. Normal automatic characteristics?

3) it rides good but when i went to load it on my trailer (tilt bed), it wouldn't climb up to get over the break over point of the tilt, he said here let me, and rode it right up, i guess being used to a clutch i was afraid I would burn something up but in this situation since he made it look easy I guess its my getting used to the feel of the torque?

All in all it was a great trade, my kids hated the kick start and clutch and this remedies that, along with a major jump in age, going from a 1987 to a 2001 (even trade, i have no clue why!), those Suzuki quad sports were getting harder and harder to find parts for (look at me two hours into it and I'm all ready a convert and bad mouthing my previous bike, lol) I know they are going to love it.

Is there any specifics i should look for as i get to know the bike? I already know it has a new chain (a +) and that the rear caliper is leaking (minor -), and the tube under the seat going into the air cleaner is half-a$$'d on there (looks like the rubber boot to hold it in is shot)

i appreciate the info and look forward to bothering you all with questions
welcome to the polaris forum. i had a 86'230 quad sport back in the day and loved it. 1st question i would not be mxing if the oil pump was working as it would be too much oil and foul plugs. but since he has been premixing the oil/gas(about a 40 to 1 mix) i would just stick too it unless your sure the pump is working. most people use a block off plate when they do away w/ the injection pump and go w/ the premix. no, there is no auto shut off if you ran out of oil as it would seize the engine if this was too happen.
2nd it is normal to have to rev the engine some to get it woving as all autos are this way. yes H is high and R is reverse.
3rd it is a totally differnt feeling then a clutch bike so it will take getting use too. it might not be a bad idea to pul the clutch cover off and take a look at the clutches and belt to see if anything is worn and clean it out. this might help improve take off and top end and a peace of mind knowing everything is fine w/ it. any more ?'s just ask and we'll try to help you out. the 250 is a good bike if it's maintained.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum! A lot of people are afraid of the oil pump crapping out and premix it. They are pretty dependable.People think when they need a top end or piston seizes it's the oil pumps fault! Usually they just waited too long on a new top end! Possible you could need a new belt? There will be a little lag because of the belt drive system,plus use the proper range when needed. Use low when you are loading the atv or under heavy loads or driving under 10 mph,hi range is for fast travel with no load!You can pull the clutch cover and check the belt for wear,too much slack (place a straight edge over the front and rear clutches,press down on the middle of the belt and it shouldn't have no more than 1 1/2" slack.The 250 Trail Boss and Blazer are good machines and simple to maintain.A good place to get oem parts is Cycle Parts Warehouse or Cheap Cycle Parts. Get a cheap manual,will help you with maintenance and any problems that may happen. Good luck with the atv. OPT

Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the responses. I fell in love with my suzuki 230 when i was 12 years old and last year jumped at getting the same model for my now 12, 13, 15 year old boys. I have a feeling I am going to like this Polaris just as much!

The prev owner recommended 32:1 on the fuel mix, I've got some time now so I am going to start a bit of research on the bike and see what the internet has to offer. I was told (and i know you can't trust that as far as you can throw it) that the belt was new on the clutch system, so I will break it open and see what it looks like.

OPT, you said Low range, my handle only has H, N and R. Am i missing something lever wise or is it just how you apply the throttle?

What is a sign of top end wear? so far I haven't done much but clean it up and tinker with everything to get familiar with the set-up. From the little i rode it when i was buying it it didnt seem to smoke to bad and no discernible noise in the engine.

One thing I like to do when ever i get something thats older and unknown history is go through it and check/change the fluids and filters to get a base line on where everything is at. Is the yellow dipstick on the right side by the chain the engine oil or transmission fluid?

I went by one powersports shop today but they didn't have Polaris' so I am going to check out another this week that sells and services them and get a line on parts and manuals.

Now to plan the first camping outing so the kids and enjoy it.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

SORRY! The Trail Boss 250 has the low range! Trail Blazer belts do take a little more abuse since they don't have a low range! Other than that a good atv! Check compression first if you suspect any problem,should be a minimum of 100 psi,hopefully more! Also if you if have noise "piston rattle" could be sign of needing the top end rebuilt. All 250s will make a little noise but no slapping noise.Yes the dip stick is the transmission fill area and check. Should hold around 16-20 ounces of Polaris AGL lube OR oil suitable for chain driven gear cases! OPT

Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

once again i appreciate the info you all have.

I did come home to a oil puddle today, and thought "Great" so I took the lower harder rubber, skid off and after removing about a gallon bucket full of dirt and sand (and I fear by the smell there may or may not have been some horse/pig/something dung!) I was able to see under the engine at the starter. It was wet and then I realized it was fuel that I had a puddle off. Knowing fuel and spark don't mix I figured my fuel problem was a bit higher up and was running down the starter positive wire loom. I took a look at teh tank and found the fuel line and it was just pushed on, i barely pulled on it and off it came and fuel was a flowing. I am hoping that's the source of it and after sitting all day it finally saturated the nasty dirt and started to drip. The funny part of it is the hose clamp was on the fuel line 3/4" up, not attached. lazy or forgetful, it was wrong. I'm going to dry it all off and move it and see if a puddle still develops.

Not knowing where what was I took the rear fender off to get it out of the way and took the the clutch case off and the belt, everything actually, looks to be new and has maybe a 1" of slack.That was putting a straight edge along the belt and pressing down in the center between the two pulleys.

Ahhh, the joys of being the um-teen owner, I have got some major "dung removal" on this thing

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've had cattle men bring em straight from the ranch in horse trailers with floors filled with it along with the machine covered in it! Usually Rangers! Needless to say they were charged to wash em,because I wouldn't touch em before they were! Had one sheep rancher bring an atv in with a dead lamb on it! Like they say S********t happens! OPT

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I've had cattle men bring em straight from the ranch in horse trailers with floors filled with it along with the machine covered in it! Usually Rangers! Needless to say they were charged to wash em,because I wouldn't touch em before they were! Had one sheep rancher bring an atv in with a dead lamb on it! Like they say S****************t happens! OPT
lol, now thats funny!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have some compressed air i would blow out all the belt dust in the clutches and wipe down any black you might see. make sure you get the clutch cover sealed up good w/ the gasket so water/mud can't get in there and cause issues as the belt and water don't mix good.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
if you have some compressed air i would blow out all the belt dust in the clutches and wipe down any black you might see. make sure you get the clutch cover sealed up good w/ the gasket so water/mud can't get in there and cause issues as the belt and water don't mix good.
There was very little in there but I did wipe out what little was there and got the seal in back in there rear good. I was surprised and how clean and shiny the pulleys/clutches were inside and out and how the belt dust was low. I was told it was just replaced so I might not have been fibbed to about that.

I am a bit concerned as to the fuel leak. I had left the fuel turned on (old habit) and even after getting the supply tube hose clamped correctly on to the carb I couldn't tell if it was residual dripping or what but a little later I still had some wet gas down below.

I drained the tank and so I could put fresh mixed (my way) and will have to see if it persists. the everything above the carb is dry and cant see anything from the other tubes going to it or below it (as best as i could see).

Also, my starter seemed to run on abit. Like you could bump the start button and it would spin longer than the switch was held down. I am assuming that's not normal...