Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gators and Mud Bugs and Zillas! OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gators and Mud Bugs and Zillas! OH MY!

EDIT: Did not realize this turned out so long, but i'd appreciate any input guys.

Yeah guys. Sorry but it's another tire thread...

well the front tires on my 96 sportsman 500 have some pretty bad dry rot and developed Tread Pattern Baldness. No matter how much Jergans lotion and Rogain foam i put on them, they're not coming back around.

So,

like the title says, GBC Gators, Maxxis Mud Bugs, or Maxxis Zillas?
looking at the 27" flavor. I think I've read somewhere these will fit without a lift. i've also seen that all of these tires are not true and run small.

I have been looking around and pricing and all 3 run damn near close to the same price for that size.

i've had Gators on my old honda recon 250 and absolutely loved them. i saw the guy that has it now and the tires are about 2 years old still look brand new. i've seen that these will run the shortest. and are also the heaviest. but they did awesome on that recon.

I dont have any experience with the Mud Bugs. they look very very similar to the gators so i expect them to behave and perform the same. one of my riding buddies just ordered some 25" bugs for the rear of his 02 (i think) sportsman 400. but we havent been out with them yet.

And as for the Zillas, these look the most aggressive. ive heard they are much lighter than the gators and bugs. but they are a softer compound so i'm concerned about wear.

I've seen good reviews of all tires. All tires are 6 ply. All very aggressive all terrain/mud tires.

I try not ride on asphalt any more than to just cross the road. so pavement is extremely minimum and avoided 98% of the time. most of what we have around here is hard trails, sand, muddy trails, sandy trails, sandy extremely soft bottom water holes, normal mud, and nasty suck you boots and socks off slick grey/black mud with optional water on top. We try to ride damn near every weekend in the warm part of the year about 8 months (march to october/november) and probably once a month in the cold part of the year (Nov. to feb)

here's my questions,
Plaese take into consideration my riding conditions listed in the above paragraph.

1. how do each of the tires wear? if the tread still is at 40% or better after about 5 years. then i feel like they've done their job.

2. which tire will out perform the rest overall? what about in specific terrain? see above riding conditions.

3. will 27's actually fit with no lift or am i crazy? undecided on 8, 9, or 10 wide up front. either 11 or 12 wide out back. will use spacers if necessary.

4. Is there anything i'm overlooking? anything i'm not considering? Please add any comments, input, experiences, whathaveyou that you feel necessary.

5. what is best place to buy? cheapest, free shipping, no hassle, etc.

thanks
Blake.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you looking for "mud" tires or all around trail tires??

what condition is most important to you?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

One thing I like about big tall luged mud tires is when the are almost worn out they still have the tread of a new stock ATV tire.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Specta
are you looking for "mud" tires or all around trail tires??

what condition is most important to you?
mud and trail. i want a tire that is going to get me through the slop. we ride a bunch of trail but there is mud everywhere.

Originally Posted by TLC
One thing I like about big tall luged mud tires is when the are almost worn out they still have the tread of a new stock ATV tire.
yeah buddy.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

I am wondering the same thing wanting something good for all around trail riding but will also be decent in the mud. I am still running my stock tires that came on my quad have about 1300 miles on them I think they will get me through this year but next year I will be needing new ones for sure. I wouldnt mind buying a set of the stock tires that someone is selling due to getting new tires right away if I can get them at a good price with shipping to Ohio

Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Giving my thumbs up to the zillas. Great tire-had the one's on my RZR for over two years and still show no wear. They handle well on the packed trails and even better in the slop and snow.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

i've been leaning towards the zillas over the gators and bugs lately. most everyone that has them or has had them says they are great. i have had one guy tell my the side walls are soft so that's got me a little concerned. and he said he kept having them pop off the bead but that sound like some one didnt know how to mount a four wheeler tire.

like i said before though. i've had gators and loved them. i expect the bugs to be the same performance wise. the treads are almost identical. the zilla's seem like they are great in the mud too but i havent seen anything that has sold me on one over the other 2

Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had zillas on three different machines and have yet to have any sidewall or bead issues. Always been a great tire IMO. They throw/tear through the mud great!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

i've read in a few different places that the side walls of the zillas are 2 ply and that is really putting me off of them.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake.
i've read in a few different places that the side walls of the zillas are 2 ply and that is really putting me off of them.
You will always find someone who has had an issue of one kind or another with every tire on the market.

I have purposely abused my Black Diamond XTRs more than any other tire I have had. I intentionally bash rocks hard with the outside edge of the tires to see what it will take to ruin one and I have yet to even cut a sidewall or damage my HD2 wheels.

I had someone tell me that they saw someone ruin 3 BD XTRs all in the same day.

ATV tires are not regulated by the DOT like vehicle tires are so the plys can be how many the tire really does have or it might be just "rated".

The manufacture may claim an 8-ply "rating" and the tire might only have 2 plys.

Its good to get input on the tires. I have been surprised more than once when I pre-judged a tires performance simply by looking at the tread.

The tires that I have tested recently that are great mud/snow tires have generally not been very good trail tires with poor steering response and lateral control. The GBC Grim Reapers are exceptional in the snow and right behind them were GBCs Dirt Commanders. Good snow tires generally make great mud tires too. Both the GR and DCs we're not very good trail tires IMO.

One day I hope to find the perfect tire.

Quick Reply: Gators and Mud Bugs and Zillas! OH MY!