Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Riding Gear....Protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 12:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geepers, I hurt everywhere.

Well I think I'm official now. I took my TrailBoss out for some serious trail riding this past weekend. The trails we rode (I went with my dirt bike friends)were dug out by some bikers. So you mught guess that the trails were pretty tight.

I think I did okay, my friends had to stop and wait for me quite a bit, but that was usually because I had to go out of the way in some places that were to tight for my quad. Other than that, I think I did pretty good. I crahsed into trees and everything. I even had to ditch the quad to keep from flipping a few times.

Anyway, back to my reason for posting. Man was my body sore the next day. I think I should have done some major stretching or something befor I hit the trails. OUCH!!! Man, I ache everywhere!! Why didn't any of you warn me?!?!?!

Taking the forum's advice, I went to the max and got some darn good boots with major support, so from the shin down I feel okay. But my lower back, shoulders, arms, knees, and ribs are killing me.

Is this something that gets better the more I rider, or do I need to buy some more gear?

Since I'll be riding dirtbike trails, do I need to invest in some extra dirtbike gear? I don't plan on riding as aggressive as the bikers do, but I was thinking about a chest protector, back support, and knee guards. Does anybody know if do these items provide comfort while you ride? Or, are they more for protection when/if you fall?

Old 03-19-2001, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Mousin,
All of the riding gear is designed to be very comfortable while riding. The extra protcetion will help when you crash or have to bail off the quad. I would definetly recommend the knee/shin guards, a kidney belt, and chest protectors. The soreness will disapear the more frequently you ride hard.
I can go on an all day trail ride and be just fine. But after a 70 mile desert race I am beat.
You should always stretch before you ride and eat some bananas or something with a lot of potassium. This will help stop the muscle from being too sore and cramping.

Old 03-19-2001, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the tips ttaylor. I'm looking through my catalog now.

I'll pick up the bananas on my way to the trails.

Old 03-19-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly what he said!

Chest protector to save from getting severe black and blue marks. Plus it protects good from roosting of others. Getting hit by a shower of gravel or hard dirt doesn't feel too good.

Kidney belt is a must for me now. Whoops just kill the lower back.

Boots, knee protection, gloves and even riding pants feel and work great. (plus they look cool)

Old 03-22-2001, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

MOUSIN,

BTDT (Been There Done That). Hydration is the key. Get your self one of the " wearable canteens" Like the Camelback, or Radiator and you'll be able to ride a lot longer with out fatigue.

Of course good suspension helps too......

Old 03-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Riding Gear....Protection

During this time of year in our area we have tons of mud and you still get muddy in dry areas. This might be a bit off topic but what is good to wear that mud does not stick to. I don't go on long rides but when I get off my quad I'm waiting for the mud to dry on my jeans so I can flick it off.