Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator 90 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator 90 wont start

Okay I bought my son a 2005 predator 90. When I bought it I knew the electric start didn't work but you were able to kick start it. It would start up with first kick then it would spit and stall out. Now I cant even get it to start with the kick start.

I have been reading through the different posts on here and I can't seem to figure it out. The fuse under the seat isnt blown, but when I turn the key on the only thing that I get is the ignition lights to light up. The brake lights are not even coming on, so thats telling me that it is somewhere in the electric system. Can anybody give me some advice of where to start at to try to pinpoint this problem.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the brake light isn't coming on then it's probably the little starter interlock cable coming out of the left brake assy. This was a common thing for the little plastic plunger to bend or wear out. It serves to trigger the brake light and allows the starter to operate only when the brake lever is pressed. Look at item #21 under "handle bar" on your model. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp This could solve the starter problem,but could be some thing else. Check that you have good spark and compression must be good enough to blow your thumb off the spark plug hole while having someone kick start it (easy way to tell if you don't have a compression gauge)
OPT

Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with everything OPT said but I think you might have more going on. Is the battery fully charged? As far as the spiting and stalling, old gas or a dirty carb?

Old 11-20-2017, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wont start

I have a 2006 Polaris Predator 90 wont start has spark changed CDI box ,cylinder, battery, starter but it won't start

Old 11-20-2017, 05:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Even with those after market Chinese cylinder/piston kits I'd still do a compression check to make sure. Has to have spark(which you say you have),fuel,air and compression.Make sure fuel is getting to the carb, the carb is clean,jets clean to where you can see through them,all passage ways blown out. If compression is at least 115 psi,fuel is getting to the carb,then block off the air intake tube with your thumb and see if it cranks up. Electric chokes and also the manual chokes didn't help that much when cold. This can give it a better charge of fuel. You can also give it a shot of starting fluid down the air tube or remove the plug,give it a shot of starting fluid, then block off the air tube.If it still doesn't run or just tries to run with the starting fluid only,then it's possible the crank seals may be leaking and need to be replaced.