Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Recommendations for 500 clutch upgrade?

Old 07-19-1999, 06:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 SP500 with a few mods, but the clutch is still stock. I would like to know what upgrades would be best. I would like more low-end torque, but would also like a little more top-end speed. Is there a mod that will give me both? Will I have to do some other things to try and achieve this goal?
Thanks in advance
Todd Irvin

Old 07-20-1999, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

Todd,
We have no idea what mods you have made already so it is hard to recommend what else you should do. I would recommend you contact Rick Ritter at RCR, he is much more qualified to give you advice in this department. You can find his contact information at www.rittercycle.com.
Scott.

Old 07-21-1999, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

I talked to Rick, and he said that there's not much improving on the stock setup...and when I said mods, I meant accessories actually...winch & bumper,racks, heavy duty springs, etc...but nothing to the motor. I'm not really at a loss for power, or anything, I just can't seem to leave well enough alone, sometimes.

Old 07-22-1999, 02:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Todd, I'd like to know if you find out anything about compatablity with the winch mount and dual tube bumper. If I ever trade off for a sportsman, I'd like to have this setup. Polaris says it won't work, but if you look at the tube bumper that came standard on the Remington edition for last fall, there is a roller fairlead mount. The bumper itself is identical to the one in the Polaris brochure. Even if it didnt fit perfect, i think I could rig something up.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 07-23-1999, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

I am quite satisfied with my SP500 low-end torque but would like it to be a little faster at the top end. At present my SP500 will, on a good day, do about 54 mph. Now if I could get it upto 60, or close to it, I would be very happy. Engine wise it seems like it has enough power, it just runs out of rpm. I was thinking some minor clutch mods? My SP is absolutely stock, not including winch and stuff. Anybody have ideas on mods. Thanks in anticipation. Dave Formstone. 98 SP500 EBS

Old 07-24-1999, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

I would suggest a K&N Jet Kit (Dynojet) and K&N air filter charger. Check out www.dynojet.com for a Sportsman 500 dyno test chart. I just installed one yesterday on my Scrambler 500 and it made a WORLD of difference. I can't believe the difference for such little money. The most I noticed was throttle response is much better. Also more torque and top end by a couple mph. It was surely worth it in my opinion! Good luck...

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

Old 07-26-1999, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Somebody wanted more top end out of a SP500. He was getting 54 MPH on a good day.

If you can find a dealership to take out the EBS clutch componants and replace them with non EBS componants from an earlier year model 500, (or do it yourself), that should do it. Assuming you don't care about losing EBS, and want to spend about 300 to 500 dollars. My '97 Explorer 500 will run 63 MPH. It does have a K&N air filter, but absolutely everything else on the quad is stock. I have been told that EBS robs these machines of about 10-12 MPH on the top end. For me, 50-55 is plenty fast for a quad like this. I rarely run mine over 50 MPH, so I would rather it be geared just a little lower for pulling and climbing, and lose a few MPH on the top end.

Hope this gives you something to chew on!

Old 07-26-1999, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

I have a scrambler 500 but the goal is the same more power and more speed. The clutch kit is the most worth while bolt on you can do. When i bolted on mine i was instantly impressed. I recommend talking to a few people first to get a clear understanding of what's involved. I went with the roller clutch because being a mechanic for so many years i remember that installing a roller cam in an engine was a bonus even if it was the same profile. Because off lowered friction it allowes a more agressive ramp profile. I'm not to familliar with the EBS system and what is available. Roller clutches are offered by Aaen and perhaps a few others. I don't know which is best and the manufacturers will tell you theirs is the best but they all acomplish the same result. Tuning the clutch is a different story. I had 15 different rear clutch settings on mine and the trade off is accelaration vs. backshifting. If you have it installed by some cheesehead he'll probably just throw it in on the stock setting.