Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP: Starts & idles... dies with throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Starts & idles... dies with throttle.

Hoping I don't stump all of you. I've got an 05 Phoenix with very low hours that I purchased a few months ago "as-is" (it had sat for a couple years and was "gumed up"). It needed a CDI Box (missing) and a couple other minor things. I contacted a dealership and got the info on the recalls (shift detent spring, upgraded spark plug) and replaced those.

I ordered a new CDI box (Ricks Motorsport Electric CDI Box 15-505) from amazon: Amazon.com: Ricks Motorsport Electric CDI Box 15-505: Automotive

I also removed, the carburetor, disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned it as well as installing a carb kit ( Amazon.com: Freedom County ATV FC03411 Carburetor Rebuild Kit for Polaris 200 Phoenix: Automotive )

I preset the carb, reassembled and literally turned key and pushed start and it was purring. A little fine tuning and it was buzzing around the yard and ready for my boys and wife to try out.

Also noteable, all fluids were changed, plug was gapped at .017 per a few other forum posts, and fresh fuel with a shot of seafoam was used.

Mothersday weekend the boys and mother gave it a good run around for about 3hrs of use in a cut hay field. Since then I've buzzed it around the neighborhood once every other week just to gain a little confidence with it.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I took my wife on her first "Real" fourwheeler trip. It fit her perfectly and took on anything our bigger machines did (albeit with much less gusto as she is a bit timid and a beginner) It performed absolutely FLAWLESSLY for the first 25 miles of the trip.

The machine stalled. She came to a stop, and restarted no issue, gave it some throttle and it stalled again. Repeat process enough times to warrant insanity.... immediately thought of the throttle switch and removed the micro-switch from the housing and prepared to be the hero as I started it. no go. Abandoned the machine on a fire road, rode two-up back to the truck and trailered it home.

Other notable things:
It was rather warm (high 80s) outside.
We had fueled up with ~1gal of fuel (fresh from the pump) about 5 miles prior: 87 octane, no other machines had any ill affects.

Any thoughts?
I'm going to pull the plug to look at it but given how great it starts and idles I don't expect much. The carb isn't too likely to be the problem, but I can't say for sure. It SEEMS like its an electronic cut-out when the revs get higher. Reverse override switch doesn't affect anything. The fuse under the seat is in good condition and the battery voltage is at 13V. Was there a recall on the Reg/Rect.? Could that be it?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm anxious to get it repaired and back on the trail as well as want to help anyone else that may encounter this issue in the future (assuming we figure it out). I've got a video of the anomaly if anyone wants to see it or post it (I'm not sure how).

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

great post...very informative. one thing that comes to mind is this: you said it sat for a couple of years and was gummed up. did you flush the tank? if the fuel filter, if applicable, was spent or had breakthrough, it might be possible some solids got by and into the jet. it's been my experience that a vacuum leak or a dirty, slightly dirty jet will cause the bogging down. just my two cents

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ding ding ding!

I grabbed a can of carb cleaner (good stuff) and started it up (after I remembered to put the plug wire back on since I had pulled it last night intending to pull the plug when it cooled). Then I hit the gas and shot some cleaner in the carb hole (air cleaner removed) and eureka it reved up! This suggested to me that the problem was not likely electrical but fuel delivery related.

Figured maybe I could dislodge something in the needle or at least see an issue by unthreading the top off the throttle body and removed the plunger. "Where the H#!! is the needle?" grabbed flashlight: it had dropped into the carb, inspected top of plunger and there under the spring was the little retaining D-ring. it appeared to fit pretty loose in the needle slot. I pinched it a bit tighter, reinstalled (which was a bit tricky: anyone have some pointers how to make that simpler?) reinstalled the plunger and cap and hit the starter.

Bingo
Bango
Bongo

Running like a top again! I should also mention I am REALLY impressed with this things power for a 200cc machine. It's pretty limited from a "holes-shot" perspective but when it gets just a little reved up it will spin tires and fly like a .... well.... something that really flies! It's no race machine, but a formidable starter quad for sure! I better remember to put the throttle limiter screw back in to keep the kiddos under control!

Thanks to all. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. cheap fix!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

BJ426, is there a throttle limiter on the phoenix? if so where is it?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts