Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 Touring a good machine for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Touring a good machine for me?

Hi all, I am considering getting a 500 Touring in the not to distant future, early next year, and I just want to make sure I am making a good choice. My oldest daughter, now only 4 and a half loves to go on slow speed rides on my current machines and I would like to get something to take her on in the future.

First of all I see tons of pictures with kids on the back of Grizzleys, with the added seat/boxes. Even though most assure it is safe I have seen a Grizzley flip with a passanger, of course they were being stupid, but flip nontheless. This plus the warnings on the non 2up machines is enough for me to avoid this.

The Polaris Touring models seem like the way to go as I have had good luck with Polaris, and the machine is one of the smaller 2ups out there. It will actually fit, I believe, on my trailer.

I really don't want to spend a fortune and the 500 seems like more than enough of a machine for me. I don't feel I need the EFI, and while the power steering may be nice I've never had it, so I don't know what I would be missing.

So is the 500 a good/adequate machine? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello, I had a Sportsman X2 500 EFI up until recently. The only times I felt it lacked was on long, open, trails that were 30 degree plus slopes. I found with my 350 lbs., with or without a passenger, that I couldn't get past the mid-30s mph, either in snow or regular riding. That's about the only drawback I can think of with the 500. It can run out of steam in high on a long steep slope.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Moose. I'll have to give the machine a test ride. I am only 175lbs or so, and I am no speed demon so I would think I would be fine.

I just can't see dishing out all the extra cash for the 550 touring. The 500 touring seems priced very reasonably.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mcordani
Thanks Moose. I'll have to give the machine a test ride. I am only 175lbs or so, and I am no speed demon so I would think I would be fine.

I just can't see dishing out all the extra cash for the 550 touring. The 500 touring seems priced very reasonably.
The 500 Touring is the best priced out there in the 500 class.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Touring Models

My wife and I have an 800 Touring. I will vouch for the added stability having the longer wheelbase. Definitely safer than riding 2-up on a 1-up quad!

I don't know where you are planning on riding, but keep in mind that if your trails are very narrow the added wheelbase may make keeping all of the atv on the trail more difficult. (including avoiding trees on the edge of a trail)

As far as the motor being a 500, I wouldn't worry about the performance or durability. These motors have been around for a while.. The quad only weighs 30 lbs more than the normal Sportsman, so you will be fine with power.

I recently added radial tires onto my Touring & the handling is amazing now. That might be something you want to look at if you want added safety. Radials took away all the roll under and pushing that my bias tires had. Great upgrade....

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

That is a great point about trail width and the size of the machine. I think I will be good where I ride as most of the trails shoud handle it. Definitely something to be aware of.

I think the 500 Touring comes with the cheaper Carlisle 489s. Not bad tires but definitely far from the radials! I know just adding ITP Mudlites, bias but more plies, to my Wolverine made a ton of difference.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Touring is safer do to its longer wheel base then just a regular ATV with a seat on the back rack.

I found with my 350 lbs., with or without a passenger, that I couldn't get past the mid-30s mph, either in snow or regular riding
My 2001 500 Sportsman with the same motor and hp will hit 50 mph no problem with me at 185lb and a 170lbs passenger on the back. My ATV weighs almost 700 lbs and the touring only weighs 40lbs more. http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...2=251438&go=Go

I beat a Kawasaki 300 semi sport Lakota in a drag race while I had my girlfriend on the back in acceleration and top end.

I just bought a 350 Grizzly that does 45mph tops and my 500 would pass that even if I triple rode on it.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

The only time I ever noticed the extra length on my X2 was when climbing. Amazing what that extra 9" of wheelbase will do for you. As for keeping it on the trail, never had a problem. The width is the same and I bet you would never notice the length. I never did. If you are going to be riding two up, it is the only, not to mention the safest, way to ride.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. As I thought the machine should be more than adequate for me and what I plan on using it for. I'll go check on out firsthand and that should seal the deal! I'l now just have to save up the cash to get one next season, and sell the trusty old Trail Boss.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

I had a chance to sit on a 550 Touring. They didn't have a 500 Touring in stock as of my visit but at least I was able to sit on a fairly similar Touring machine. I had my daughter with me who will be 5 in October. Although I don't plan on buying a machine till next year, her legs are way short still for reaching the foot rests. Has anyone solved this issue? Seems like placing your feet on a steady surface would really help with your balance on the machine.

So have any of you added aftermarket foot rests, and if so are they adjustable? I want the machine to be as safe as possible of course.

Only other choice is something like a Grizzley with a rear seat box. I know they aren't supposed to be safe that way, but they almost look safer for small children as they are cradled by the seat box on either side. Plus I think I have seen them with aftermarket adjustable foot rests. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 500 Touring a good machine for me?