Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Xplorer Overflow Dripping Gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

SORRY! No screw on the side of the bowl,just a big drain bolt at the bottom, I was thinking about a four stroke carb!! Just try lowering the fuel level by adjusting the float arm tang,install the new gasket,but still check out the overflow tube for any splits! OPT

Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do. Probably wont get to it until early next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

kg

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default frustrated

I have this same problem with our 1998 Xplorer 300. Would drip gas when engine was shut-off. Replaced needle and seat and now it drips when giving the engine gas. It stops dripping if idling. Float arms are level when pushing down on them. Also tried adjusting so float arm was level when not pressing down and still drips. Filled bowl with gas and nothing comes out any potential cracks and floats do float.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fulmer
I have this same problem with our 1998 Xplorer 300. Would drip gas when engine was shut-off. Replaced needle and seat and now it drips when giving the engine gas. It stops dripping if idling. Float arms are level when pushing down on them. Also tried adjusting so float arm was level when not pressing down and still drips. Filled bowl with gas and nothing comes out any potential cracks and floats do float.
Welcome! If you didn't replace the float arm and pin, it possibly could be the problem. They can become worn and wobbly with age and can stick from vibration,filling the bowl up too far and overflowing.Would show up when you killed the machine,would start dripping. While running gas level is usually below the overflow tube. Most people overlook these parts when rebuilding carbs since they don't come with carb kits. Fuel pumps on rare occasions can cause problems,but with a new needle and seat and float arm,any excess fuel pressure should be stopped. OPT

Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

To be honest, due to whatever; the 999 things on my list that need doing or my disgust with having taken this carb apart 5 times already and not having solved this issue, I haven't jumped back in and looked at the overflow tube to see if it was cracked.

However, since my last post I've just been riding it and shutting the gas off when I park it. I know I need to do it but it just hasn't been a priority. I will post again once I get it done to let you know what I find.

Thanks for all of your advice Old Polaris Tech!

Kurt

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Post what you find as it may help the others with similar problems. OPT

Old 10-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

I took my carb to local polaris dealer for advice. Guy told me the floats, float arm and pin were fine. He advised me to buy a OEM seat (for $46) and try that. He said the rebuild kits off ebay can be junk. The only thing I installed from the Shindy kit was the seat and needle. I just installed the seat from Polaris. The good news is it no longer drips gas from the overflow tube when pressing the throttle, it now drips gas while idling. I even tried putting the original needle back in and it still drips. Only thing I haven't done is buy and install a Polaris needle.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just bend the float tang slightly down,cutting carb bowl fuel level to see if stops dripping at idle through the over flow tube. Can't trust a lot of aftermarket carb parts. Only ones I'd trust is Moose and Sudco atv carb kits. OPT

Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

With the carb upside down, I have bent the tang down. The float arm is no longer horizontal to the lip of the carb, it is on a slight angle upward. The overflow still drips gas at idle. I took the carb back off and I bent the tang down a slight bit more put all back together and it still drips at idle. Repeated a 3rd time and it still drips at idle. If I press the throttle and give it gas the drip stops every time. I have taken a close-up pic of the float arm angle and posted in Fulmers Pics album. I can't seem to get it to show in this thread.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still sounds like the float needle is not shutting the fuel off completely. Plus did you replace the fiber washer with the needle and seat? I know what your talking about on the float angle versus the carb body. Normally the float arm is parallel with the carb body,but if you've bent the tab down and still drips, the problem has to be either in the needle and seat,leaking past the washer,or float arm sticking even if someone said the arm and pin were ok. Plus is there any side to side movement on the float arm itself? OPT

Quick Reply: 97 Xplorer Overflow Dripping Gas