Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to Make Scrambler 500 fast as 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-1999, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my '99 500. Wouldn't trade it for 10 EXs, but I ride with a few & wish i had the same acceleration & top end. I do not want a loud pipe. My clutch setup is perfect. What is left? I have the K&N filter (installed by dealer before I bought the bike). Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,
Jerome Coker
'99 500 & 400 Scrambler

Old 07-24-1999, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

The pipes that are out now would not allow you to keep up with a 400 ex anyway! You have to remember, your quad weighs about 170lbs more than a ex. This is why you cannot accelerate with them. A clutch kit, pipe, and any other modifications will still not allow you to hang with the 400. However, invite the 400 to ride in the mud or sand with you and you will leave them in the dust. The 4x4 option allows you to go places 400 ex's only dream about. And even in the sand, you will be able to keep up with them (in 4x4) because of your better traction. The two quads do have about the same top speed, but the honda gets there much quicker. The only polaris that can hang with and even outrun the honda is the sport 400L. On your 500 you can however stomp all other quads (excluding the banshee and a well modified 250R).

Old 07-24-1999, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

Well, Unless someone knows a way to install a turbo or a supercharger i don't belive you're going to get too much more power out of that 500 without loosing some reliability.

I am waiting for someone to make an aftermarket frame for the scrambler 500 ( 4 x 4 ) that would shed 50 to 75 lbs

Old 07-24-1999, 01:53 AM
Range Rover

Check with HPD, I read an article where they had a 500 Scrambler engine stuffed in a chassis like a 250R and it weighed about 350lbs. This was obviously highly modified and would cost a bundle.
Scott.

Old 07-24-1999, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

The lightweight "race chassis" is meant for a 400cc race engine, not the 500 4-stroke. You need to add a lot of aftermarket components to make this setup work. I'm very familiar with this chassis and have been trying to buy one for over 3 months now, with no success. I guess business is so good at HPD that they can't take care of selling anything to customers anymore. They have two frames that are about 3/4 done right now. I have asked what it would take to get one done. The only thing I ever get is the pat answer of "it's probably a month or two away yet".

Schultz Motorsports www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html

Old 07-25-1999, 12:48 AM
Range Rover

Jack,
Thanks for the info. The article I read had Darrel Olsen stuffing a 500 into a race chassis. Looks like the market is ripe for somebody to build a serious chassis for the Polaris machines.
Scott.

Old 07-25-1999, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

I think it is quite possible for a slightly modified Scrambler 500 to outrun a stock 400ex. I just installed a Jet Kit from K&N and it made a lot bigger difference than I thought it would. A couple mph on top, and a good bit more acceleration. I already had a K&N air filter and splitfire plug. But most of all the throttle response is now that of a two stroke! It's unreal for about $50. My theory of a Scrambler 500 out running a 400ex is like this: A stock TRX250R will run an 1/8 of a mile in 10.2 secs. I tool mine to the track and pulled a 10.6 @ 58mph, totally stock (Except K&N filter). So a stock 250R is suppose to outrun a stock 400ex by a few quad links. This means a few mods to shave off at least .6 secs should be doable. Especially after seeing the difference just from the filter and jet kit. The jet kit was not installed at the track.

I think a good pipe, clutch kit, K&N filter, and a Jet Kit would easily do the trick. I ride with two 400ex's and the next time we ride, I'll run one to see how close it is. Look at this site closely as I will post results. Take it from a 500 owner, it can happen! Good luck!

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

Old 07-25-1999, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Willie B, your comments on the jet kit are encouraging to say the least. I have been thinking about installing a jet kit in my SP500 for some time now. Can you tell me what comes in the kit and what is involved in installation?
Dave Formstone
98 SP500 EBS

Old 07-25-1999, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

There are mods that you can do to shed some unnecessary weight on your 500. You can start by getting new tires/wheels. Holeshots or Razrs mounted on Douglas .190 aluminum wheels. Stock ground clearance can be retained by getting the new Holeshot XCTs. I am not sure if the tires are lighter than the stockers, but I know the wheels will be. You can also save weight by replacing the handlebars. You won't save a ton of weight, but every ounce counts. I don't have any experience with a Scrambler 500, but this should help, at least a little bit.

Now about the Scrambler 500 vs. 400EX, if the Scrambler's engine is anything like that of a Sportsman 500, you need a lot of help for drag races. My uncle has a '98 Sportsman 500, and in a drag, I leap out in front right away and never look back. But you have to remember that drag races are somewhat unrealistic. The true ability of a quad will show out on the trails. When we are riding, we usually are riding pretty fast and for me, the pace is rather comfortable. I don't feel like I am pushing myself but I do know that we are hauling. In MY opinion, a stock 400EX will be faster than a slightly-modified Scrambler 500. Despite the displacement advantage, the Scrambler weighs considerably more than the 400EX, and that weight problem will plague the Scrambler no matter how many mods it has.

Please remember, these are my personal opinions. I have never ridden a Scrambler 500, and my opinions are based on what I've read in magazines and heard from owners.

[This message has been edited by Mike Frey (edited 07-25-1999).]

Old 07-31-1999, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you Mike Frey...
All though I comend the eforts of the scrambler 500 in fighting to keep up with me.And I do mean fighting,I lay into the throttle, Take it to the next level and within one minute the scrambler is out of sight.
sorry but you are toooo heavy and out of ballence. If you persist in following me at that rate you WILL crash.
Lights on for safety.....
Steve........99 400EX....

Quick Reply: How to Make Scrambler 500 fast as 400EX