Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by toy_ota64
Alright. The guy I got it from said he had just replaced the cam not to long ago... So I am pretty sure it's not be cam but I will check. It more less was just backfiring and spitting when I let off the throttle and it idled down. That's why I was wondering if it would be timing . As well
I think it may be a vacuum problem or would the cam cause it to not suck fuel in. Thanks
Don't take anyone's word for repair work done,unless it's your mother OR they have written proof Check the lobe out. Just pull the cam cover and pull the recoil slowly. Exhaust lobe should look just the the two outer intake lobes. Plus double check the valve clearance at TDC (.006 intake and exhaust) They start out slowly on wear and get down to where they just spit and sputter and no power when the lobe is ground down. IF the cam is ok,then you can start checking elsewhere. If you didn't move the stator plate the timing should be okay.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had spark now it's gone once again

Hey Polaris tech... I was finally enjoying this bike and went out for a ride. I went to turn around and press the reverse limiter switch and bam the bike went dead and has lost all spark. Now I was doing some checking and now when I unhook the CID from the little black wire I have spark again. What does this mean? Thanks

Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Black wire from the cdi is the main kill wire. It ties in with the ignition switch and left control switch wiring. I'd check the left control switch wiring and connectors along with the ignition switch wiring where they both terminate under the front panel.This is where most of the shorts happen. It doesn't happen often,but if you eliminate any wiring short,bad connection in either switch,the switches themselves are ok,a cdi kill circuit can short out internally. I've ran into a few that did this. Most of the time I replaced the cdi,but had a one guy that said he'd rather just choke it down to kill it rather than spend the bucks...Hopefully it's just a wiring short,but sounds like you need to start at the left control switch.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Spark again

Hey old Polaris tech, I did some searching and pulled off the left control switches went through it all cleaned all the connections. Went through all the wires back to the wiring harness all good . I couldn't find anything wrong. So I went to my repair manual and looked at the wiring diagram for those years. Turns out one wire from the reverse limiter goes all the way into the speedometer. I unplugged the speedo and bam spark. Plug it back in no spark. Weird my speedo didn't work anyway so i Left it unplugged and it fires right back up. I am puzzled but it is running and that works for me. Woo

Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Limiter is built into the speedo. You probably shorted it out when you hit the left control over ride button. At least from your post you said you lost spark when you hit the over ride button. You're eliminating it now when you pull the speedo harness even though the rest of the speedo doesn't work. To keep your awd you can jump the brown/white(or grey/orange I believe on the Magnum) wire to the brown on the speedo harness. Also when you say your speedo doesn't work do you mean the speed isn't registering? If so,it could just be the hall effect speed sensor on the right caliper that needs replacing. Here's what some have done on the Sportsman 500s on getting the awd to work. May help you.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks old Polaris tech for the info I wasn't aware of the awd not working now. I went to use it last night and it seamed to still work but I will check and see if the light comes on just to be sure . I would rather do it your way then cut and splice wires though. With un hooking the speedo will the reverse limiter still work or will it just run normal in reverse now? I am scared to push it now haha. I drove it for an hour last night and it is still running ...

Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just give it a try in reverse to see if you have full power. You can always jack the machine up to see if the awd is working properly.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

was it the stator. I have a 2005 (carbed ) sportsman 700 with no spark or service manual. Dont know what to do. Polaris dealer is 60 miles away

Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Gordman
was it the stator. I have a 2005 (carbed ) sportsman 700 with no spark or service manual. Dont know what to do. Polaris dealer is 60 miles away
Here's a link to a 5 buck pdf service manual for your 700. Same as the hard cover ones we had at the shop. Hopefully the electrical checks can help you out.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2005-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey old Polaris tech.... I finally had time to look into my 4x4 on my magnum. Turns out the 4x4 was working but only 1 front wheel. I then Tried your jumping trick from the brown with white tracer wire to the brown wire and now I have both front wheels working. But it is only working in forward when I shift it to reverse I am only in 2x4 . Is there anything else I need to jump to get it to work in forward and reverse? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark