Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark

I have a polaris magnum 500 with no spark. I have replaced the ignition coil, and cdi and still have no spark. I have searched the issue on google and it seam to be that it most likely is the stator? Does anyone know how to test the stator? Also could the voltage regulator cause it to have no spark as well? .. It was running then we shut it off and now it has no spark so i am confused?

I have access to a older magnum that is a 425 and i am also wondering if the stator from it would fit in the 500. I would just cut and re solder the proper wires on? is this possible?

If any one has any insight on this issue that would be great i have been tinkering with this quad for a couple months now. thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Their were 4 different stators used on the 2000 Magnum 500 (kept updating them) Same thing on the the early Magnum 425's. Just guessing off hand the stators would be different along with the wiring colors.
Best to get a manual so you can do resistance checks,but if it happens to be the stator here is one place that reasonable.Ricky Stator - Manufacturer of ATV & Dirt Bike Stators, Electrical Components, Lighting Systems and Suspension Products OPT

Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Did you get it fixed yet??

Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default not fixed yet

I still have no spark. i just ordered a new stator from Rmstator . it will be here next week i hope this is the issue!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kevleetee

Check for a black wire by itself up front under the hood/rack,it runs to the cdi box. This wire carries the signal to kill the spark,whether it be from the key,left handlebar switch,reverse limiter,etc switch.Unplug it and hit the start button to see if you have spark.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

just tryed it with the black wire un hooked and still no spark.. so i hope the stator is the issue.. unless there is something else that could cause the issue.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default kevleetee

I am a polaris tech and I hate to hear when people spend money replacing unneeded parts.I know in the Polaris factory svc manual there is list of things to check. The only part of the ignition system that you cannot check is the cdi box, which you have already replaced. Hopefully the stator is the failure.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kevleetee
I am a polaris tech and I hate to hear when people spend money replacing unneeded parts.I know in the Polaris factory svc manual there is list of things to check. The only part of the ignition system that you cannot check is the cdi box, which you have already replaced. Hopefully the stator is the failure.
Agreed! Cost of a service manual is less in many cases than cost of parts just thrown at machines because of just guessing. Preached that too for years to a lot of deaf ears. OPT

Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old Polaris Tech

From what I've read the folks here at this forum are lucky to have a an experienced retired Polaris guy to help with tech stuff. People either love or hate polaris atvs and getting good sound advice is hard to come by.Keep up the good work sir.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

success i have spark.. woo now i am going to remove the carb and make sure it is clean before trying to start... as well the drive clutch has some cracks in the sheave is there some where a person could order the part that is cracked?

Quick Reply: 2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark