Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How High Do I need to Go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How High Do I need to Go?

I have a 2012 Polaris 850 2-Up Touring model quad and a Dodge RAM Shortbox (76" in the box). The quad is 86" long. I know I can get it to fit into the box with the gate closed if I raise it up on ramps (seen them called ATV Boosters). Anyone know how high I will need to go to be able to close the tailgate? I have a broucher from a fabricator in Alder's Flats Alberta that includes a 22" high ATV Booster ramp but I don't know if that will work for a 2-Up of 86" (57" wheelbase). I know I can put the Booster ramp on top of 2x10 planks and get another few inches of rise. Been a long time since I did any geometry. May resort to drawing a scale model of the quad and the box on paper and seeing if that will get me the answer - but I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to my question.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

This is how I used to carry my X2. I was able to close the tailgate. Carried a buddy's '08 Touring the same way once. I did have to take off his rear bumper though. Nice thing was I didn't have to worry about my rear glass.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  205.1 KB

Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default How High is that?

That looks high - how high is that ramp? Do you also raise the back tires or are they right on the truck box?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Fortkentdad
That looks high - how high is that ramp? Do you also raise the back tires or are they right on the truck box?
It's just a standard truck tool box. I built a couple of ramps out of 2x6's to get up on it. Rear tires are sitting on the bed.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Touring is 3.25" longer than the XP, but you said your bud's Touring fit in, but with the rear bumper removed, I assume that was an aftermarket bumper because there is no rear bumper on mine. I like this idea, instead of a single purpose ramp that I see costs between $300-$600 I can buy a tool box for about the same money, build a wooden ramp, and voila - a Quad Carrying setup, that doubles as a toolbox the rest of the year. Thanks

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm looking at a Delta Tool Box like this one:

Is that like the one you have? Yours seems to sit well above the top of the sides of the box.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

My X2 had the same wheelbase as the touring. My tool box is a Weatherguard box, but I think most all boxes are about the same deminsions from the top of the box to the top of the bed rails. It's handy to just throw the tie down straps in the box and lock them up when you get to the trail. Just have to remember to get them back out before you load up.
It was a Polaris rear brush guard bumper that had been added on.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

If the ramp were exactly 76 inches long on the bottom (full truck bed length), the ramp would have to be 35.2 inches tall, to accommodate exactly 86 inches of ATV. The ramp would be at an angle of 27.9 degrees.

Because knowledge is power!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

Careful if you buy a tool box for your truck. Weathguard are one of the best brands of tool boxes made. I think if you go with a cheaper box the lid will bend fairly easy. I know my weatherguard's lid doesn't move when I stand on it. My older tractor supply box lid got pretty bowed from standing on it when I wash roof of the truck.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow- careful ramping that up on your tailgate- I destroyed my tailgate when I was loading my KQ700 and the cables let go.

why not just get a bed extender- that'll work pretty good and you don't have to worry about your high center of gravity.

Quick Reply: How High Do I need to Go?