Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How High Do I need to Go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyxp
Careful if you buy a tool box for your truck. Weathguard are one of the best brands of tool boxes made. I think if you go with a cheaper box the lid will bend fairly easy. I know my weatherguard's lid doesn't move when I stand on it. My older tractor supply box lid got pretty bowed from standing on it when I wash roof of the truck.
Canadian Tire has the Delta brand box for $300 - I found "professional grade" boxes for $600-$1,000 and wonder how much difference there would be. I understand the locking system is much better in the more expensive one which would matter if I hand thousands of dollars of tools in the box. But I guess the weight of steel or aluminum used for the box is a major factor in the price. I guess the aluminium ones probably would not hold up with the weight of the quad on the lid - the quad is about 800 pounds so it would be about 200 per tire assuming equal weight distribution.

I suppose one could reinforce the lid where the wheels would rest. Or put out for the steel box in the first place.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by beergut
wow- careful ramping that up on your tailgate- I destroyed my tailgate when I was loading my KQ700 and the cables let go.

why not just get a bed extender- that'll work pretty good and you don't have to worry about your high center of gravity.

A couple of problems with the bed extender. One, if you are pulling a trailer, or RV, the tailgate needs to be up. Two, with the extended wheel base of the X2 and Touring, the rear tires will end up riding on the tailgate. Been there, done that. The mounts for the tailgate cables started pulling out of the bed.
The 2x6 ramps I made to get on top of the tool box spanned the lid, so the weight was distributed quite a bit. Also, with the atv at that angle, a bunch of the weight is transfered to the rear tires. I will see if I have a better picture that shows it better.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

After thinking about it, I may have mis-spoken about the rear tires sitting on the tailgate. I've always had the tool box in my truck so I couldn't pull forward all the way. Still wouldn't be able to close the tailgate though, and I think that was one of the issues the OP was concerned about.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
A couple of problems with the bed extender. One, if you are pulling a trailer, or RV, the tailgate needs to be up. Two, with the extended wheel base of the X2 and Touring, the rear tires will end up riding on the tailgate. Been there, done that. The mounts for the tailgate cables started pulling out of the bed.
The 2x6 ramps I made to get on top of the tool box spanned the lid, so the weight was distributed quite a bit. Also, with the atv at that angle, a bunch of the weight is transfered to the rear tires. I will see if I have a better picture that shows it better.

when I used to put my outty max (2up) in my truck bed, I'd just slide the ramps under the tires of the atv so that the tires were sitting on top of the ramps, that were over the tail gate which took a lot of the weight off the tailgate- then just 2 rachet straps pulling it forward... or in this case use the bed extender.

I don't see there being a problem having the tailgate down with a trailer attached- most trailers more than clear the tail gate- can't tell in this case because the op didnt mention anything about his trailer specs.

I dunno personally, I would do anything to keep the atv sitting flat in the bed of the truck before riding it up on a tool box like in the pics above. I would be "white-knuckling" the wheel all the way to the staging area, which in some cases can be half a days drive... if one strap loosens up, the whole atv could slip right off the box and create some major damage- especially around an unexpected fast corner- not to mention the center of gravity is not working in your favor.

I personally prefer to trailer my atv's everywhere I go even though I have a full size super crew truck.

looking at his pic below- the bed extender would work out very nicely in this situation, since the rear wheels are not really even on the tailgate at all and his hitch is far enough out to allow the tailgate plenty of clearance with any trailer...

I don't even think it's worth the money if all you're looking to do is put the tailgate up slide the ramps under the atv and strap it in good & tight and hit the road- buy some aftermarket parts for the atv with the money you save on buying a toolbox or a bed extender

Originally Posted by Fortkentdad

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

hehe- a few years ago I had a shitty ford sportrak with a 4' bed. my trailer had a busted axle at the time so I'd put the KQ in the bed of the truck- I never understood why no one would tailgate me talk about a white-knuckle ride!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

Judging by his hitch, I would say he pulls a travel trailer. The problem there is the clearance between the tail gate and the tongue jack and propane bottles. Clears fine unless you have to turn.
Never had a problem with straps coming loose. Used to drive all over the mountains here and a trip or two out to Utah.
I do agree with the whole trailering the atv concept. I now have a two place atv trailer for ride only trips, and a toyhauler camper for the longer outings.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default RV & ATV Hauling

What I want is to be able to pull my RV Trailer and take my quad with me. If it is a daytrip I do have a small utility trailer that I might use, or just ride with the tailgate open.

I fear that when I try to turn a tight corner or back my RV into a campsite I need to crank the wheel hard to one side - and the tailgate could well contact the corner of the trailer. I'd have to try it and see how much clearance I actually have.

Here is a side on view of my truck and trailer

I would not think that putting the quad up on top of the tool box would make for "white knuckle" driving. I'd want to reinforce the top of the toolbox, either with some metal bolted onto the top of the toolbox, or maybe inside the lid of the box, to prevent the weight of the wheels from bending the metal top of the tool box. Could also use a plank that sits ontop of the box. I always overdue the tie downs with a couple of redundent straps just in case one lets go. I'm not a risk taker. I will try my hand at google sketch and see if I can't "engineer" a solution here.

I do wonder about the strength of the $300 CDN Delta Box from Canadian Tire. I see on the Delta website that they have "good" - "Better" and "Best" grades of boxes and I'll bet the one at CDN Tire is just "good" or their economy version. But it might do the job with some reinforcement either with bolt on steel or wood.

Anyone else out there ride their Touring or other 2-Up onto the top of a toolbox?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another option is to get some simple oil-change ramps and raise the front wheels a little - and then partially close the gate and use a strap to hold the gate in place - probably get it 3/4 of the way closed. Anyone done anything like that?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

that's a nice rockwood camper- I can see now how the tailgate would get in the way...

you need something like this-

HEADACHE RACK | CAB RACK | CAB GUARD | FACTORY DIRECT AT HIGHWAY PRODUCTS.

so you can get a good anchoring point up high-

Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Range Rover

The weathergurd isn't more due only to the locking system it is also a lot thicker aluminum. I believe they are around 100lbs empty. The cheaper one I have on my trailer I can lift it easily whenever I need to move it. I wouldn't think I f you wnet with a nice one that you would have to reinforce it.

Another option may be going with a sled bed. I think that is what it is called. It sits on your bed rails and has a flat surface for one or two wheelers. I am not 100% sure on the name. You may have to google it. I know it is hind sight, but another reason truck manufacturers need to keep making long boxes. Instead they keep making them smaller and offer even smaller options on half ton trucks. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How High Do I need to Go?