Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Timing and timing marks

Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing and timing marks

Hello All,

I am working on a 2001 500 sportsman. The timing chain broke and I need to put it back together. I have it apart new chain in but now I need to retime the bike. I have figured out how to time the cam, but what are the timing marks on the flywheel/crank? There is a dot on the crank right behind the keyway. There is also several different marks on the flywheel. It is a FF97. The are several punch marks, 2 side by side, and 2 other marks by themselves. there is also a small notch and a larger notch.

Any help would be great in getting this thing back together.
Thanks so much Jay

Old 09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome ! You say you have the cam timing figured out,but just in case: The lower cam sprocket gear should have the dot lined up with the mark at the bottom of the case(this is tdc on the piston),the upper cam sprocket should have the index pin pointing straight up. IF you place the single plated link on the chain bottom dot,the two plated links should line up on the two dots on the upper sprocket. It's NOT really necessary to do this with the chain,the most important thing is to keep the bottom mark lined up and the index pin on the cam pointing straight up dead center of the head. The tensioner must be removed and collapsed and once the cam timing is set install the tensioner body,then the tensioner spring and cap nut to take up chain slack. The stator plate should have one mark that lines up with the mark at the top on the engine case itself,UNLESS someone has been making addition marks tinkering with the timing. Plus look at the "Sticky" thread about viewable pdf manuals and the pictures on timing of the cam and stator should help. The holes on the flywheel are "balancing" holes,just to keep the flywheel running true and no heavy areas to cause vibration.Also on the flywheel edge is an etched "T" for tdc while viewing through the inspection hole of the recoil. OPT

Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT-

Thanks for the response. I used a pencil and found TDC of the piston and Put the chain on. I was just over thinking it at the moment like a car motor. I am building a 351C for my mustang and was talking myself into thinking I was a 180 OUT! As soon as I found the TDC on the piston The single dot on the crank and the 2 dots on the cam pulley hit me.

Using a straight edge I lined them up. I didnt get the 2 links-1 link thing but I do now. I did however rotate the assembly by hand and nothing hit. Then I re-assembled and fired the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Jay

Old 10-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you still an active user?

Old 10-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OPT passed away sadly early 2018 he is dearly missed here! He was a GREAT source of knowledge.