Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris has spark at the begging but then none

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested the coil mounted tab to ground 0.01 ohms and coil tab to plug wire 8.00 ohms the only other thing I can think of there is pin holes in the wiring from when Somone has gone to test it and the have poked into it

Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What about the other coil you say you have? Have you checked it out? If you're talking about pin holes in the harness wiring you can always splice into the bad areas and see if this solves the problem. Also could be as simple as a faulty resistor plug cap as one of the other posters hopefully has found that might be causing his problem?. OPT

Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for late reply been away for work I sanded back all the grounds today even put in more earth wires to make sure it was getting earth.

the other coil dosent give me any reading (mounted) or un-mounted

I'm not getting any spark at all now but would I not get a spark if have taken the battery out and just have booster cables from my car (running) to the terminals on the bike ?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not too good of idea just to use booster cables with no battery.Cdi ignitions are sensitive and you can trash one out if it hasn't done so,but since you said the cdi is new, the stator ohmed out almost on the specs as you said, it still sounds like you're down to the coils. One coil you said doesn't have any readings as you say and the other secondary check sounds "iffy" if you're showing 8k (8000 ohms) instead of 6.3K. (Or 8.00 ohms as you posted?) on the secondary. Plus pin holes in the coil wires or harness wiring? As far as the battery and spark, you can have an almost dead battery and if everything else is ok you should be able to have spark if you just pull the recoil starter. OPT

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have got a new coil on its way should be here wendsday next week and yea 8k it tested at ill put a battery back in it when it's fully charged and I have tried it with the pull starter but still no spark

Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have put the battery back in the bike bought another spark plug still waiting on the new coil to arrive but yea i used my multimeter and put it in the pulse pick up coil wires and cranked the engine over to see if i would get a single and i did it was like 3 volts or sumthing like that

Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

so new coil turned up but im back to square 1 it sparks but only every so often not every time you hit the start switch but every so often like once when you hit the start button then if you hit the start button a few more times it wont the it will after like 10 tries the spark looks pretty strong but yea not constant enough if you let it wind over it wont continue to spark or anything like that

i tested the new coil (mounted) from signal tab (the one where the blue wire from the cdi box connects to) to the ground tab and it tested at 9.79k ohms and from plug boot to signal tab tested at 0.3 ohms

Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Backtracking to your second post you show the stator exciter coil resistance was 230 ohms (220 nominal) and 102 ohms (97 nominal) on the pulse coil wires which shows that both readings on the stator are within range. You've got a new coil and still have the one spark condition.Only thing else left is the cdi module and if you've pulled the black wire from it and also the black wire from the reverse limiter module and no change,sounds like this is what you're down to. Whether you boosted with a truck battery or not the cdi probably has been the problem from the beginning. OPT

Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

i went and bought a new cdi today from the polaris dealer and hooked it up and using the bttery to start it but still the 1 spark problem i have the black wire disconnected from the cdi box and the black wire from the reves limiter held the spark plug and wire against the block still the 1 spark condition

Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then I'd recheck the stator readings,plus pull the recoil housing and if you have a puller remove the flywheel and clean the stator and inside the fly wheel and see if you have spark. If not you still have an original problem,short,ground problem that's still the cause since the coil and cdi were replaced. Not impossible for the stator also to be the problem as I mentioned earlier that resistance tests are not always 100% accurate. OPT

Quick Reply: polaris has spark at the begging but then none