Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

100 hour service questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 hour service questions?

Going to buy some specialty tools over the winter, to prepare for my 100 hour service. Chances are I will do it in the spring regardless of hours.

What I need to know, is the primary clutch bolt left handed thread? What about the secondary clutch bolt?

And how do I clean the clutches?

Do I really need to pull the screen fitting in the oil tank?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Both the primary and secondary clutch bolts are "lefty loosey,righty tighty" Couldn't resist on that one. Best way since you don't have an ebs clutch or even for ebs cluches is have the atv in an OPEN area to where you can use compressed air to blow the clutch dust out of the clutches nooks and crannies.Plus inspect the front clutch buttons and glide area for wear. You can even pop off the front clutch cover plate to get all the dust out around the spring area.On the secondary clutch you can spray down between the sheaths and it will force a lot of belt dust out. There are sprays out there you can use ,but depending on how dirty you may not need it. This is the best way to clean short of taking the clutches apart. Since yours is new that shouldn't be necessary. There will be a dust storm in most cases when you do blow out the clutches. A mask would be handy! As far as pulling the tank screen,IF mine I would pull it once a year just for peace of mind,even though the screen might be spotless if you use good oil. Use liquid plumber sealant or teflon tape on the threads when reinstalling and line the neck up with the tank mark. OPT

Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT! I remember you mentioned to do it at 100 hours. So, I will do it on the spring service, taking it outside will give more light.

Can I use vise grips to pinch the line?

My oil smells like stale gas, level has not gone up. Is that normal? It has 29 hours since the last oil change.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you do a lot of idling,putting around, then you can and will get some gas residue in the oil!
You don't have to remove the screen now if you don't want to.If you plan on changing oil and filter,just drain the remote tank,leave the old oil filter on,crank the engine for about 15 seconds only! The sump oil will drain into the remote tank and out into the drain pan. Remove and replace the old filter and add two quarts of oil. OPT

Old 10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you OPT! I will do the screen come spring, only have 49 hours on it now.

Does the sump get oiled instantly when starting after you drain the oil with tne method above? should I pull the plug wire?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This method drains the sump oil also! When you install the two quarts of fresh oil you can pinch off the vent line on top of the oil tank to get the oil flowing quicker. Remove the vice grips after about a couple minutes of running. OPT