Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

3 light mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 light mod

Igot a diode kit for my 1996 sportsman 500 and im not sure how to slice the wires correctly. Yellow and green wire coming from the handlebar (main switch) inside the headlight pod. Do i three way splice the green wire from the diode into the green wire from the handlebar switch and three way splice the yellow wire from the diode to the yellow wire from the switch too? I assume i do it this way with what i beleive are scoth connecters that came with the wired diode? Please help i am at wits end here! And im electrically challenged, as you can tell!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm challenged on some of these aftermarket kits also.Electrical and other wise. The yellow is the main headlight wire,the green is the low beam lights. As far as the diode kit,that I admit have never installed one! Hopefully some good electrician or someone that has on the forum will jump right in,the waters fine......... Just hang on a bit, you should get your answer.
OPT

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm looking at a brush guard and (2) more lights thus giving me (3).

Can I ask what it is you are trying to do? I do not under stand the need for a diode. From Elec class in votec 25 yrs ago I recall a diode is like a check valve only allowing current to flow one direction.

Quick search = 3-light mod for all (3) lights on at one time.

The issues to over come is that the stock lighting circuit is not capable of supporting the current draw assioate with all (3) lights at one time.

The solution uses a common 5 pin automotive style relay (available at any auto parts store or under the hood / dash of that dead car around back). It used the high beam light circuit as the switch to trigger a relay to power the lowbeams. The extra power for the low beams must come from a second circuit to supply the addiotnal lights. Here are some pic I found of the set up below...

Name:  lowbeamlight-1.png
Views: 148
Size:  72.6 KB

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

The diode is whatn alot of others are using to get all three lights working. Some say it gets hot and some say it doesnt get that hot at all, so i was going to try that but...yer reply as well as others saying its a better solution who have used this relay have convinced me to try the relay instead of the diode. And thanx for yer input whitfield