Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help! Carb question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Carb question

Cliffs:

My predator ran fine and would start right up, but was leaking gas out of the bottom of the carb.

I pulled the air intake off, pushed float up and down a couple times, and put the air intake back on.

Well, the carb no longer leaks, but now it wont start. I ran the battery dead trying to start it.

After a while, i hooked jumper cables up to my truck and got it started. It ran for a little bit but the throttle was rather sensitive and the bike would die if i wasnt careful.

I asked the original owner of the bike (im the 2nd owner) and he said the carb has never been redone on this bike.

What do yall think? Should i just rebuild the whole thing or where should i start troubleshooting?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd do a compression check first as the Predator has a shim under bucket adjust system and if they've never been adjusted,this could be the problem. Tight valves and the engine won't run right or crank. OPT

Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I'd do a compression check first as the Predator has a shim under bucket adjust system and if they've never been adjusted,this could be the problem. Tight valves and the engine won't run right or crank. OPT
You think it is a valve issue? I do know that the motor was rebuilt with titanium valves. The only reason i was playing with the carb was because it was leaking. It ran fine prior to me screwing with it.

I was planning on getting a float charger today to give the battery a good healthy charge. Should i grab a compression tester while im at it? What is a healthy compression range for these atvs?

If it makes any difference, i bought this quad last weekend in houston and brought it to san antonio... 500ft ish difference in elevation.

EDIT: Thanks for the help OPT

double edit: whereabouts in texas are you? I just moved to SA and I'm trying to find places to ride!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry,didn't read your post correctly! If it was running fine before you messed with the leaking carb,then it could be that you just need a new needle and seat.This is the usually cause of leaking along with float height adjustment. You're not changing elevation enough to matter from Houston to San Antonio. On the Predator I highly suggest you get a manual as there is a lot to maintain and adjust and will show you step by step on how to do the carb,etc. Others can offer you tips on where to ride in your area,I'm retired,living in North Texas and don't ride the blame things ! Plus you can bookmark this site as a quick reference on parts breakdown on your Predator. Browse Best online oem parts places are Cycle Parts Warehouse and Cheap Cycle Parts! OPT

Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

Some updates:

Bought a float charger, charged the battery, and tried to start it... no luck.

Pulled the air intake off and put my hand in front of the carb (for pressure)... boom, starts right up.... and starts leaking fuel out of the bottom of the bowl again.

Im guessing that pretty much means something is sticking internally?

Also, are these supposed to go anywhere? one of the tubes coming out of the bottom of the carb has a fitting on the end, but it is just hanging down...

Name:  Carb2_zps71fcb165.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  Carb1_zps8a1c783e.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  128.3 KB

Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Black hose is the over flow, the big one with the one way filter is for air pressure equalization in the bowl if I remember correctly. If the carb is still leaking you just need to replace the needle and seat, clean the main and pilot jets and hopefully this will solve the starting problem. OPT