Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cyclone or Trail Boss??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Carb adapter still shows to be available here along with the air box boot.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus this carb kit should work(worst case you can still reuse your original main and pilot jet as the needle and seat, gasket,etc are the same) 1003-0004 - ATV Complete Carb Rebuild Kits Polaris many Trail Blazer & Trail Boss | ATV Parts | MFG Supply
OPT

Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies it's been helpful. Do you know what years they made the cyclone? Everytime I find any info it says they were only made in '87 and the only ones I've seen are an 87. I'm asking cause I'm trying to find rear end parts and the '87 diagram has one shock where mine has two rear shocks.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cyclone was made only one year 1987. Look here under"swing arm,rear shock" on the 87 Cyclone.In fact all the models up until the Sportsmans had single shock swing arms,except for the Cyclone which shows two rear shocks!. (7041190 rear shock has been updated I know,but can't find the replacement # so far.) I'm sure later year models should work or check with after market companies.You'd just have to measure shock center to center eyelet length "unmounted" to find something that would fit proper. Browse
OPT

Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Well I imagine I can find a set of shocks to use for the back once I get some measurements. My problem is I can't find a swingarm bushing set, I've been searching for a good couple hours. I've been going back and forth from the parts diagram to a search engine and trying to cross reference other sets. I haven't found anything yet. Do you know if there's a set that will fit the cyclone or a way to possibly make some or use an aftermarket set? It's making it hard right now cause I don't have any measurements to go by.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This place list shock bushings, but you you may try to see if they can help on the swing arm also. If no help then just check Ebay,or just Google atv swing arm bushings. Someone should have what you need. Shock Absorber Bushing
OPT

Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Range Rover

Yea I am not finding anything, but I'll take a look at it and see if it actually needs them first. The chain is popping off when turning under load, maybe the rear axle and chain needs to be tightened. I would like to pick up any parts I can for future repairs though. I'm trying to go through this thing and rebuild it where I can. It doesn't seem to be in bad shape but you can never have too many spare parts.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the chain is being thrown off under loads or while turning,make sure you have only 3/8" to 1/2" slack on the chain plus jack up the rear end and see if the rear axle has any play from worn bearings in the axle housing. Could be you just need a new chain also if any links are stiff or there is a lot of side to side play on the chain links. OPT

Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Are all the older 250 engines the same? I'm trying to figure out if cyclone came in electric start. I don't see a battery box or starter anywhere on the machine, though there is a small push button for something on the left handlebar. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use parts from a trail boss to convert it to electric start if it didn't come with it. Just wondering if they came in electric start or if it's even possible to do cause my gf has trouble pull starting it.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by neo27ny
Are all the older 250 engines the same? I'm trying to figure out if cyclone came in electric start. I don't see a battery box or starter anywhere on the machine, though there is a small push button for something on the left handlebar. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use parts from a trail boss to convert it to electric start if it didn't come with it. Just wondering if they came in electric start or if it's even possible to do cause my gf has trouble pull starting it.
This was the only Polaris that I know of that didn't have electric start!Recoil start only Look under the parts breakdown under "crankcase and cylinder" and item 17 is the starter block off plate! http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp It had a headlight and tail light,plus the button on the left handle bar side is the reverse over ride button!It was at the time an attempt as a "hot rod" designed to have the clutches engage at about 4000 rpm which always seemed to want to launch the front end.At least on the two I rode! I only saw and rode a couple briefly when we first opened up the shop(we opened in late 1987). Hard to remember all the details on this machine,but looking at the engine the piston does supercede to the later model piston numbers and any other engine parts do also,except this wiring harness and was one of a kind and no longer available! Crank shaft and rod are the same as later model engines with crank bearing number changes. In other words engine parts are no problem,but electronic parts might be a little trouble finding. Plus I remember the regulator was designed to run the electrical without blowing bulbs. Guess your girl friend needs to strengthen her muscles if she wants to start it! The recoil cover does have the bushings for the starter bendix and I suppose if you could find a harness off an 88 model or so you could add a battery, starter, bendix, later model regulator/rectifier,etc,but the cost would be high to do so. I'd completely forgotten that this model was recoil start only! It's only been about 25 years since I've seen one! OPT

Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Range Rover

ok I've had some time to look the cyclone over and need a bit of help. If I give it a shot of gas in the carb it will start right and it will idle with the choke on but it is very doggy on the throttle. You have to pump the throttle to get it to rev up and after a few minutes it will want to die out and you really have to work the throttle to keep it running so it doesn't stall out. If I shut the choke off it will idle high after it's warmed up a little. I noticed it's leaking out the bottom of the carb, possibly the overflow spout. There is a hose disconnected down there which looks to go to the overflow on the bottom of the bowl. Just need some ideas on what to check out, maybe the float needs to be adjusted? Other than that the motor seems strong, was rebuilt recently according to what I was told.

Quick Reply: Cyclone or Trail Boss??