Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 polaris xplorer 400 4x4 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris xplorer 400 4x4 questions.

New to this site and to the ATV world.

recently picked up a 2000 polaris xplorer 400 4x4.

This quad has a hole in the transmission cover above the front sprocket from a chain break and bunching up in there. was wondering if anyone has patched a hole in these cases before and if it is possible and if it holds? also what was used to patch the whole?

also is it possible to put a new starter in from the bottom side? i noticed that the starter is not working so i started to look into it and found out that there is no starter there?

Noticed a small puddle of antifreese under it and was wondering if there is a normal spot they start to leak?

also where on the transmission is the fill whole for the fluid?

any help would be greatly appriciated as i am new to the ATV world.

so there will probably be alot more questions to come

thanks.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Common thing to happen on cases when chains were loose. Most times,I just replaced case halves didn't try to epoxy,etc as most times holes were too big. You can check on Ebay,etc for cases,but be careful,could get a bad one! Starters are the hardest to replace on the 250,300,350 and 400 because there at the bottom. Since you don't even have one,I'd remove the recoil cover(too see if you even have a starter bendix also?) and make sure the stator isn't full of mud and water if there wasn't a block off plate. If you have a clutch puller it's easiest to remove the clutch cover,clutches and backing plate to get to the starter bracket IF it even has one since the starters gone??
If it's leaking coolant, more than likely the water pump seals and bearing need replacing and the counter balance cavity is full of coolant (This area only holds 75cc's of 30 wt oil!)
transmission fill plug is a 9/16" bolt of the right hand side of the case behind the foot well.
Look at this site under your model as to parts involved,plus downloading a manual would be best also! Browse
OPT

Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also if we just patch the whole int the case is there a cheap fluid we can put in it to run for about a week then drain and fill with the correct fluid? just to kind of clean te inside out of it.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nessracing16
also if we just patch the whole int the case is there a cheap fluid we can put in it to run for about a week then drain and fill with the correct fluid? just to kind of clean te inside out of it.
If you can patch the hole and you just want to try to clean the inside up,I'd just fill with kerosene (naptha,white gas,whatever's handy) run through the gears for a couple minutes while the rear end is jacked up and then drain. You can also take an air blower and blow into the fill plug area to blow out any excess metal shavings that might be trapped through the drain. Won't hurt it just for a few minutes to do this,plus you can check for any leaks while doing this and afterwards you can install Polaris AGL to the bottom of the fill threads. OPT