Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 sportsman 500 H.O. efi battery drain Long post

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 sportsman 500 H.O. efi battery drain Long post

A major drain on my battery has lead me to this forum, hoping to find some answers and help. This all started about 2 years ago when the bendix went out in the starter which was replaced by the local polaris dealer. Since then it has been to 2 different polaris dealers trying to fix the battery drain problem. The first one replaced the battery and said it was just a dead battery. The second replaced the ecm and replaced the battery again. Since then I have decided to take this into my own hands seeing as I have spent a considerable amount of money already. I found the wire that is draining the battery. It is the 12 gauge wire with a fuseable link coming off the starter relay going directly into the ecm via SSCB #1. I have since replaced the starter relay, checked resistance in the wire, and ran a completely new wire from relay to ecm(using both the old ecm and the new one the dealer installed). After all this I am still showing a 1.7 miliamp draw(.07 or below being normal if I remember correctly). I know I could install a kill switch so it doesn't drain the battery while not in use, but that still does not fix the main problem, plus the drain is so great it will still cause the battery light to flash while the machine is being used. Thanks for any and all help in advance. I am at my last resort trying to figure this out.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! The main thing that you haven't posted is the charging rate back to the battery while running. Should be 14-14.5 volts. If the battery indicator is flashing while running then seems like the battery isn't keeping a good charge, not just having a drain on the electrical system only. These controller modules were problem areas and just like the recalled ecms on the 2004-2006 carb models,you could still have a faulty control module that the dealer installed if the charging isn't good.Plus from what little I've read on my pdf on this module the SSCB can trip internally,not necessarily because of any load.This problem,if it continues should be hooked up to Polaris Digital Wrench(dealer should have done this!) to eliminate any other problem other than the control module. OPT

Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT. I have a genuine polaris technical manual and followed all the steps in checking the charging system. The stator checked out good while running. The only thing I could find out of the ordinary was the draw on the battery.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This draw could be because of the control module or even the ecu could be the problem. This is kinda where manuals can only do so much and Digital Wrench has to take over to find the source of the problem.If it is an ecu then you can't just install one yourself. It has to be programmed to the atv by Digital Wrench. Nightmare's I know when it comes to electrical problems on efi machines! OPT