Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 or KFX 700?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 or KFX 700?

Hi there, I am new here and am having a hard time decided what quad would be best for me. I know this question has been asked a lot and I have searched hundreds of old posts but I have my own circumstances that make this question a little different.

First off, I am a relatively small female, 5ft 3 and 140lbs.

Secondly, I currently own a 450r. Its an awesome bike and lots of fun at the dunes, but for some reason the clutch and me fight all the time in the trails. I know how to use a clutch, and can keep up with the boys at the dunes but trails are a whole different story. The bike is extremely sensitive, even geared down, and the trails are very intense. It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to ride anymore because it is no fun for me.

I am mainly going to ride at two places. The sand dunes in OK and a friend's 100 acres with trails. The property is old strip mining land and very very intense. Hills are 60 to 80 degrees up and down, mainly made for side by sides.

I think I have narrowed it down to two options:

Scrambler 500- I think I need the auto. 4x4 would be a nice feature for the hills. I like the sporty-ness of the bike. I am concerned about the maintenance needed. Is this true with the newer models? I don't want to worry about fixing something every time I ride, I want something to hop on and go. Seems like the chains are a PITA and the belts hate water. Also concerned about the power of the bike. I am not a speed demon, but I want to be able to keep up at the dunes.

KFX 700-Like the auto and I think I would love the power. I don't know that the 4x4 is a must, usually won't ride if there is too much mud because the hills are impossible if too slick. Also, usually ride with side-by-sides that have winches if needed. I am worried about the size of the bike compared to my small size. I know its about the same as the scrambler, but just seems bigger. Also, I am worried about the lightness of the front end on the hills. This thing is too heavy to roll and I am worried about being able to stop and start again on a steep hill if needed to. Bike seems like its easy to maintain although the LE plastic is known for shattering.

I think I laid out most of my wants and needs and concerns, but if I missed something just ask.

I found a few of both for decent prices around me, but I have to sell mine first. Have some interested but if he doesn't get it, I probably won't be able to sell mine until spring.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

KFX 700 is a pretty good sized machine. Scrambler is probably heavier than the KFX with it having 4wd. Either machine will do well in the sand as long as you have good tires. If you're not dealing with mud or snow or steep rocky climbs you probably will be fine with the 2wd. Sand dunes require keeping up your speed and momentum as much as anything.

Other thoughts I have are that you might want to look into a Can-Am Renegade. My son's 500 moves very well and it's a lot faster stock than a Scrambler. Lighter than a Scrambler and maybe lighter than the KFX 700. The Can-Am also is an automatic like the Scrambler, but has independent rear suspension and no chain to deal with. The 800 Renegade is scary fast with the same abilities as the Scrambler.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Unfortunately I won't be able to spend much more than what I can get from my 450r, which should be around $3600. I'm a broke college student!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Coming off a 450r, they're both going to feel like tanks. The kfx does have a little bit better suspension, but I'd go with the 4wd. Eventually, you're gonna see a puddle you just don't want to go around.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CGirl10
Unfortunately I won't be able to spend much more than what I can get from my 450r, which should be around $3600. I'm a broke college student!
Okay. That would limit you. If you like the speed I believe they had a 400 Scrambler that was a two-stroke. Much quicker than the 500.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe the 400 is a 2wd? Also, they haven't made it for awhile, so I would have to get an older model which might have more problems. In that case I would probably prefer the 700

Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

With your budget (been there too) you're going to be more at the mercy of who had the machine before and how well they took care of it.

They did make the 400 2 stroke with 4wd, but I think they stopped making them around 2003.

The 400 2 strokes could be modded to really scream.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look at Rekluse for an auto clutch kit for your quad. They don't list quad models on the site but I am almost 100% sure they have something for your 450R. Both the KFX and Scrambler are heavy and slower handling so you may find yourself hating that coming from a scalpel like a 450. I have ridden a few 700's and while the sound and power is nice, it felt like a ute without the racks. Couldn't wait to get back on my YFZ.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by Scooter86
I would look at Rekluse for an auto clutch kit for your quad. They don't list quad models on the site but I am almost 100% sure they have something for your 450R. Both the KFX and Scrambler are heavy and slower handling so you may find yourself hating that coming from a scalpel like a 450. I have ridden a few 700's and while the sound and power is nice, it felt like a ute without the racks. Couldn't wait to get back on my YFZ.
Good idea.