Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'02 700 Sportsman with slight miss

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '02 700 Sportsman with slight miss

I thought it was a fouled plug, but took them both out and they both look nice and clean, like they're burning properly. I do have the updated ignition system. Is there anything that is "common" I should look for on this? I think I am going to go ahead and replace the plugs anyhow.

It seems to have a hesitation when I peg the throttle from a dead idle sometimes. Other times, it hooks up right away. Sometimes the hesitation will keep it bogged down until I let off the throttle and hit it a second time and other times, it will just pick up on its own. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to run some carb cleaner through it. Any do's or don'ts with that?

This sits for months on end pretty often and this is the first I noticed it. I think the last time I ran it, was on Labor Day weekend. Any ideas?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Saw that you have the updated ignition! What brand of plugs are you using? Hopefully it's the NGK BKR7E plugs. If still running Champions,chunk em!Plus sitting for months even with stabilizer can be the cause of the miss. Or could be simply you need to clean the carb. Physically cleaning the carb is best as carb cleaner wont unstop a pilot jet or clean these carb as well as you can yourself,plus some cleaners can damage rubber parts! OPT

Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seafoam is good stuff to keep fuel sysstem clean, have you updated the breather tube from the airbox to the back of motor? there is a recall on these, the clear filter looking thing catches condensation then freezes and breaks, causing a vacume leak and they will run as you describe, recall is a new hose with no filter, both ends of hose are a different size so it takes a special one.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

I'm using NGK - can't recall the number, but I'll verify what you posted. The carb doesn't look fun to get to, but I may have to give it a shot if it doesn't clear up.

I put Seafoam in the sled and generator, but haven't done so in the four wheelers. I guess, as time goes on, I have less and less time to ride, so it might be a good idea, since I'm not burning through the fuel like I once did.

Breather tube recall - I don't think I was aware of that one. I had the water pump seal done years back. I'll have to look at the breather tube. So, if there is a clear filter looking part on it, it's the original? How long is the recall good for? I did a search for it on the web and didn't find anything.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

As far as recalls it's been too long for me to remember all of them,but I do remember the water pump cover brace plate that was a warranty job, plus some machines did have the breather cover and reed plate warp and seep oil and make a mess,but look here at item 2 and 3,plus check out your atv. As long as it wasn't a safety recall,the warranty is way gone on this one. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
OPT

Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

UPDATE: Did find tsb-03-05 that said to eliminate the crank case line filter in cold climates. Probably why I didn't do very many if any down here in Texas! Replacement tube kit is #2202744. Polaris Single Line Breather Kit P N 2202744 | eBay Since it was a technical service bulletin and not a safety recall,probably can't get Polaris to ante up on this cost after 10 years! OPT

Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

This tube thing sounds familiar, for some reason. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find.

Thanks OPT!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

If this is the tube that comes out of the front of the air box, toward the left side, then it appears to be a factory part. I don't really suspect this, though, after more thought on it. It's been in a cold climate in the winter since it was new and I've had it most of its life without ever experiencing this. I'm leaning toward needing to clean the carb.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is the old tube and filter that leads to the valve cover. Not all experienced problems,just depends on altitude and cold temps. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If you think it's not the problem,try the carb cleaning first.
OPT

Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Range Rover

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I think I'll pull the carb.

Quick Reply: '02 700 Sportsman with slight miss