Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

replace front struts 96 xplorer 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace front struts 96 xplorer 400

hi, i need to replace my front struts...I notice one side is not working well...i can fell it bottom out and some bumps and if i push down on the front end it just jumps up and down. So my question is, can i replace the strut without taking the hubstrut off the bike?

Can i just remove the nut at the top? does the plastic fenders have to come off? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sbishop

Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes,but it takes a little work.You can remove the front cab(fenders) to make it easier,but I never did. Best to have an impact or a good air ratchet or it will be tough to do it this way!. Remove the front wheel, tie rod end,caliper,remove the top strut nut,washers and upper pivot plate.Lower the strut down carefully(at an angle) without pulling the cv joint off the shaft and place the strut on the tire, 4x4 block of wood,etc. Use an impact to remove the spring retainer nut,retainer plate and pull spring off. Remove the two strut bolts and nuts,then twist the old cartridge out. Replace the new strut cartridge(let it bottom out in the strut housing OR you can move it up a little) Make sure the other strut cartridge is the same depth! Replace ONE bolt and nut at the bottom of the strut housing to hold the cartridge in place (the top one holds the caliper hose bracket installed later) Replace spring,plate and nut(Just impact this nut down),slide on the lower pivot ball and lean strut back up into the frame opening. Replace the upper pivot plate,rubber washer,steel washer,then tighten nut.You have to clamp the strut shaft with large vice grips close to the top between the spring(let it hit the frame to lock it in place) to remove the top nut and to replace it. If you have the air tools it's not that hard. OPT

Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

OPT, just to make sure, the spring is not under compression the way you describe things?

It is safe?

If yes, i will give it a try and let you know how i make out..Thanks again

Sbishop

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The spring is under pressure! But when impacting the spring retainer plate nut off, it just pops up a little. All you have to do to compress the spring when you have the new strut cartridge in is to put a little tape on vice grip jaws,grab the shaft and lock down the vice grips,then turn the vice grips and you will coil up the spring compressing the spring down which also pulls the shaft up just enough to install the top plate and nut. Then remove the vice grips and impact the nut tight. Easiest way I've found to do it without spring compressors and doesn't scar the chrome shaft of the cartridge.I've replace dozens and dozens over the years this way. OPT

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

OPT, so far so good, the spring is removed but now i'm trying to remove shock and i can't get it to come out. I've got both bolts loose on the strut...I can turn the shock slighty with pipe wrench....any trick in getting the shock out?

Thanks
Sbishop

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just stick a screw driver in the gap on the strut housing and pry gently(or I just drove in a flat punch to open the housing a wee bit),then just pulled the cartridge out. OPT

Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

I was going to try that but i thought i would ask first...Thanks again OPT!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

OPT...piece of cake!

I used a small punch and just tapped it lightly where the bolts are...came right out.

Got one side done, the worse side is next. Now when i push down on the good side..its actually a little stiffer and it doesn't bounch up and down as bad...I tried the bad side and its just like being on one of those old rocking horse toy with springs...HAHA

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Just a side note, have to be carefull with the wire for the 4x4....it's pretty tight.

I double checked with the wheeler in the air that all 4 tires were turning in 4x4.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by sbishop664
Just a side note, have to be carefull with the wire for the 4x4....it's pretty tight.

I double checked with the wheeler in the air that all 4 tires were turning in 4x4.
Piece of cake huh! Glad it worked out for you. You saved some $ on labor. OPT

Quick Reply: replace front struts 96 xplorer 400