Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil and gear fluids, I'm clueless!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and gear fluids, I'm clueless!

I recently got a 1997 Polaris 400 Sportsman 4x4 2 stroke four wheeler. I do not have a manual for it and need help figuring out what fluids it takes. There is a silver dipstick on the right side of the machine behind where the pull start is. What fluid goes there? And what type? And since it is a 2 cycle engine, does it have a place to put engine oil? I'm very clueless about all of this, so please help me know what kind of fluids I should check and where. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! The silver dip stick is for the transmission.Should be 3/4" drain plug at the bottom on the right hand side.Use Polaris AGL it's the best.Put in 16 ounces,then check the dip stick(Think it holds around 16-18 ounces?) Same for the front hubs,use Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid only!! Remove the 3/16" allen plug from the hubs to drain,fill at 12 o'clock,drain excess fluid at 4 o'clock position. A little extra won't hurt. Front of the machine is the oil tank,takes 2 quarts total. Wally World TCW3 rated oil is fine along with any good oil for injector systems.You don't have to but expensive synthetic oil. This oil doesn't have to be change,just keep it topped off. You will probably get between 4-5 tanks of fuel to 2 quarts of oil. It doesn't use much so don't worry. Best though to remove the 3 screws from the oil pump plate to make sure the pump is working properly and not corroded/frozen up. It works with the throttle cable(cable splits to go to the carb,then goes to the oil pump.) The drive chains need to be lubricated often and adjusted. Plus there are plenty of grease fittings! That's enough for now! A manual is priceless to keep it running! You can find em cheap(pdf copies) or hard copies on Ebay. OPT

Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Welcome! The silver dip stick is for the transmission.Should be 3/4" drain plug at the bottom on the right hand side.Use Polaris AGL it's the best.Put in 16 ounces,then check the dip stick(Think it holds around 16-18 ounces?) Same for the front hubs,use Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid only!! Remove the 3/16" allen plug from the hubs to drain,fill at 12 o'clock,drain excess fluid at 4 o'clock position. A little extra won't hurt. Front of the machine is the oil tank,takes 2 quarts total. Wally World TCW3 rated oil is fine along with any good oil for injector systems.You don't have to but expensive synthetic oil. This oil doesn't have to be change,just keep it topped off. You will probably get between 4-5 tanks of fuel to 2 quarts of oil. It doesn't use much so don't worry. Best though to remove the 3 screws from the oil pump plate to make sure the pump is working properly and not corroded/frozen up. It works with the throttle cable(cable splits to go to the carb,then goes to the oil pump.) The drive chains need to be lubricated often and adjusted. Plus there are plenty of grease fittings! That's enough for now! A manual is priceless to keep it running! You can find em cheap(pdf copies) or hard copies on Ebay. OPT
Reply: So the cap in front of the headlight that says oil is for the 2 cycle oil correct? There is no dipstick that I put regular engine oil in?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by McBeezy23
Reply: So the cap in front of the headlight that says oil is for the 2 cycle oil correct? There is no dipstick that I put regular engine oil in?
As OPT said, just keep it topped off in that reservoir.