Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler up grade

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler up grade

Hey guys I see allot of great stuff on here. My name is Pete I have a 2002 Polaris
Scrambler x (the blue and yellow one) 400 4x4. Great Machine Always has been bought it new. Always took great care of it. But now I am a little older, two kids blablah and unfortunately from a good 195lbs to 315lbs. Not good I know working on it P90x good stuff.
Anyway doing a top end rebuilds nothing special regular top end kit. But I went to hpd for some clutch parts. My problem is I now ride in very rocky and rough terrain allot more than I used to and slower. Need to bit a bit careful. The machine is always lugging a bit, hard on belts, even the Kevlar ones.

I am will to sacrifice top end for low end and mid range performance with a clutch kit. But I just don't know what to get or how to interprate the info.

I know loosing 100lbs is the best answer, second best is engine mods (to expensive) and saving up to buy an atv that more suits my riding style and hand the scrambler down the kids.

So I am left with clutch upgrades any suggestions??

Thank you all very much in advance. I am not a big poster but reading your posts has helped me solve a ton of issues and saved me so much time and money.

Thanks, Pete

Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give the folks at EPI a call. They should be able to set you up with a clutch kit that has more low end grunt (lose some top speed) and will be easier on belts.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

These guys have two performance pipes and five stage kits for your ATV.
I,m sure they can steer you right. Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV Scrambler 400

The stock power is 38hp and there final stage kit can bring it to 75hp.

Can,t hurt to call them and just talk.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks

I will give them a call on the clutch parts. I did not se an e-mail address. I am also doing a top end kit. had it done last year 85mm was put in. Then the oil pump went bad at idle thank god. there was more aluminum on the sleve than damage to the sleave. do they make a bigger piston for the stock sleave. I cleanded it. Stone honed it, then ball honed it. all with a drill press at 300 rpm and constint up and down. Still measures 84.9,84.3 85.0 right at 85 never any bigger. Should it get it boared and honed agine by a machine shop or just put a 85mm piston in it, block off the oil pump and call it a day. I wanted to get a costed pistin in it but wiesco dose not offer one. any other sugestions.
Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Problem is the piston to cylinder clearance is critical on the 400. Stock bore is 83 mm and Wiseco goes only to 85mm over size. The book shows clearance must be somewhere between .0018 to a max of .0037(too much imo). 85 mm is the limit on the stock 400 cylinder,the sleeve can only be bored to this amount(max 2mm over stock bore) or a new 83mm sleeve must be installed or a new cylinder purchased. If you just stick another 85mm piston in it ,it may not hold up. Namura makes a coated piston,but the 85mm is a large as they get. L.A Sleeve,Langcourt Plating, or even this place can do the sleeve work. NORTHWEST SLEEVE CYLINDER REPAIR & SLEEVE MANUFACTURING The cylinder sleeve is paper thin at 85mm!You can go the performance route with Aaen,etc and get an 87mm big bore kit,etc but will cost some $$. You can block off the oil pump and premix 40-1 ratio if you don't trust the pump. OPT