Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Souvenirs from Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Putting along with no oil in the crankcase???

Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
And no damage to the block?
Surprisingly no,it didn't crack the case or damage the cylinder. The piston and rings(as you can tell from the pic) weren't damaged that much and the cylinder was still good! The rod did bump the front part of the case when it seized and the rear portion of the rod was against the counter balancer. It just had a small burr on the case that I just used a die grinder on and buffed it out. This idiot owner was lucky other than the crankshaft being destroyed. OPT

Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Fortunalty we have a very good dealer in Canton Ohio..Bair's Inc..Family owned..I personally know the family (just lost the founder Cloye Chaney to cancer)And have riden with them in WV..Have bought lots of atv's from them and they have a great service department..It is a real pleasure just to stop by and talk atv's....

Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

Cool conversational piece!! Glad to see your getting better at this forum stuff, you have a vast closet full of technical answers!!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Justjoe
you have a vast closet full of technical answers!!
what a man keeps in his closet is of no importance to anyone else except between he and his skeletons

Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like the rod got hot and bent when the bearing let go. How did the other rod look? Was it all heat discolored as well? That is definately one of the craziest looking rods I have seen. lol

Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

The other rod was shot also,bearing burnt up and rod discolored,but didn't melt like this one.
If he was "putting along" like he said when it locked up this is probably what saved the cases and cylinder and possibly the valves/head. I can only imagine what the damage could have been if he was traveling fast. No valves were bent,push rods were straight also. Checked the valves for seeping by spraying contact cleaner in the intake and exhaust ports and only one had a little seepage. When I rebuilt engines I always pop the valves,lap them,replace the valve guide seals and recheck for leakage. I didn't like to have to go back into engines. Once was enough!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean. I just bought my Grizzly off of Craigslist in non running condition. Pulled the top end apart after verifying the timing and low compression. Piston is scarred bad. Gonna have to bore it and go with a larger piston. I think the head/valves are fine, but I am going to lap the valves and replace the valve seals anyway. The timing chain tensioner still had 5 or so clicks before it was all the way out so it still has a little life left. I really hate to fool with the it since I have to pull the side cover and get the special tool to pull the magneto or pay the local dealer $10 to pull it. However, like you said, it would keep me from having to go back in anytime soon....

I have to hurry up and get my Grizzly running now too, since I sold my Big Bear last night and riding season is right around the corner!