Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rear brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brake caliper

I have a 1997 polaris magnum 425 2x4. can't get 1 of the pins out of the rear caliper. I am trying at this time to grind down the brake pad to get more access to the pin so I have move meat to bite on the pin with a vice grip. Got 1 out use a pair of neddle nose vice grips but got 1 stuck bad. can't heat it cause the caliper is alum. any idea's anyone have a spare caliper and the bleeder screw is broke off in it. if everything fails I will have to use the 1 with the broken bleeder screw and just bleed it from the brake line if that will even work.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Pry with a screw driver between the pads to push the caliper piston all the way in in. Spray some PB Blaster all around the pins. Let it soak awhile and use use a pair of needle nose pliers in between the pads to turn the pin back and forth. Then you should be able to wiggle the pin out and replace the pads. You can pump up the hand brake and lock the lever then break the 7/16" nut on the brake line loose,but can't guarantee all the air from the caliper will be removed. Best to use an ease out(soak the broken fitting with PB blaster and a little heat) to remove the broken bleed screw and replace it.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech. Thanks for the reply. Neddle nose pliers is how I got the first pin out. I ended up grinding the pad down on the side to get access to the top of the pad where the pin goes through and grinding it down to the pin and removing the pad. I had to use a pair of regular vise grips so I had a better bite on the pin to work it loose. plus soaking in WD40. Next question I have is how far does the piston suppose to go in the caliper. is it flush or to where the slots are cut out on the piston. I haven't tried the ease out on the other caliper yet ( it will be a spare brake caliper) that will be my next project once I get the brakes squared away first.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Piston doesn't go flush,just to the cutouts is good enough to get the new pads on.If you go too far in with the piston it's hard to get fluid in the chamber behind it to get the brakes to pump up.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Caliper

Thank you very much for all your help. Rodney