Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes

i just replaced my rims and tires and i noticed sum thing i only have 1 rear brake is this right or did the other one get removed i bought the bike used so i don't know , me myself i can't see them running only one brake on the rear

Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by skull246
i just replaced my rims and tires and i noticed sum thing i only have 1 rear brake is this right or did the other one get removed i bought the bike used so i don't know , me myself i can't see them running only one brake on the rear
The rear diff is locked, no need for two on the rear. Only the X2 has two on the rear, because they have turf mode, which unlocks the rear diff.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front brakes work harder than the rear brake.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

interesting , don't understand it but i use my fronts all the time anyway find that the foot peg realy doesnt slow me down anyway

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Front and rear brakes are tied together,but as posted most of the stopping power is in the front. The pedal brake for the rear has a small master cylinder and on some of the newer models you almost have to stand on it to slow it down.Nothing like the old great mechanical/hydraulic rear brakes of the past to where you could lock the rear wheels up just by having the brake rotor on the transmission output shaft,greater stopping power to the wheels at the source of the power rather than at the end result,the rear wheels. ATK dirt bikes came out with this type setup in the late 80's and at first we thought a small rotor and caliper mounted on the sprocket shaft wouldn't work that well.We were all surprised how well they stopped and no wheel chatter.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Front and rear brakes are tied together,but as posted most of the stopping power is in the front. The pedal brake for the rear has a small master cylinder and on some of the newer models you almost have to stand on it to slow it down.Nothing like the old great mechanical/hydraulic rear brakes of the past to where you could lock the rear wheels up just by having the brake rotor on the transmission output shaft,greater stopping power to the wheels at the source of the power rather than at the end result,the rear wheels. ATK dirt bikes came out with this type setup in the late 80's and at first we thought a small rotor and caliper mounted on the sprocket shaft wouldn't work that well.We were all surprised how well they stopped and no wheel chatter.

Thanks for sharing yhat, I never knew polaris ran inboard brakes. Can am ran inboard brakes on the first gen outlanders, then went away with it for the second gen.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All the early model 250 Trail Boss and Blazers had this set up along with the first couple years of the 500 Sportsmans. BUT the Sportsman brakes had problems as they experimented with fixed and floating rotors and they made a horrible noise if the rotors warped and then they just gave up and mounted the caliper on the rear wheels.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

The brakes on my 400 squeal when cold, or if it sits, but they do stop squealing. I do not park it with them locked.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Simple thing to do if there is a little rust/corrosion on the pads is to spray a little WD40 on the pads and inside the caliper.Just don't try to stop quick for a little bit! Just run around for a couple minutes and use the brakes off and on. This usually stops any squealing. I've shown customers this for years when they complained about noise. Usually it's just a little dirt,mud,etc that cause this.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT. Once it warms up I will start a thread looking for maintence tips.

Do the sliders on the calipers need synthetic brake grease?

Quick Reply: brakes