Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with Polaris Predator 50 - Not Firing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Polaris Predator 50 - Not Firing

Hey guys, I have already read and got lots of help from all of you on this forum by reading similar posts but for the life of me I cant figure this thing out.

My problem is the 50 won't fire. Sometimes it might fire for one or two cranks but it seems very weak and then won't fire again. So far I have replaced the plug, coil, and today the stator. Still no fire. I have also sanded the posts where the coil mount. I'm beginning to think maybe something is grounded out?

Any Ideas?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Pull the black wire from the cdi(kill circuit) and see if it has spark since you already replaced the stator and coil. If it has spark,then pull the plastic cover from the ignition switch to see if any of the soldered wires have come loose. This was one common problem area. Also check the plug cap itself. Should show around 5k ohms. If still doesn't have spark after these checks then possible the cdi is faulty or you still have a ground problem. Some after market(generic) stators have caused no spark conditions if you didn't order a Polaris oem replacement also..

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT- Thanks so much. I think I'm on the right track now. I did finally find the black wire going to the key switch and unplugged it and it immediately started firing. The fire still looks a little weak to me but I am kicking it and its probably just this small engine maybe?

The other thing I did was check the ohms at the plug cap, but I am only getting around 2k instead of your recommended 5k. Would this be cause for weak spark? Should I check anything else?

I didnt get a chance to try and start it yesterday but I will have to drain out the dead gas first. Its been sitting for about 2 years now.

Let me know your thoughts about the ohms at the plug cap and where I should go from here please. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just drain the fuel first and clean the carb jets. Replace the float needle if you can't clean it up.The carb bowl has a small orifice that has to be clean and open also.To start it easier block off the air tube from the air box with your thumb as you kick it or try to electric start it. Try these things first and see if it cranks.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT Bad news. Drained the gas and cleaned the carb and still wouldn't start. I even tried starting it off ether just to make sure. I checked the compression and I have 120 lbs. Then I checked the fire just to be sure and guess what? No fire again. It seems to only fire about every fourth or fifth kick and then just goes away again. Any ideas?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Seems like you replaced everything except the cdi.Pulling the black wire eliminates the kill circuit from the cdi,but not a guarantee that the cdi isn't bad though. Pull the plug cap first and see if you have spark with the bare wire against the cylinder.If you don't have spark, then looks like a cdi problem.Plus did you check the soldered wires on the ignition switch?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I have not checked the soldered wires on the switch. I thought unplugging the black wire eliminated that but i guess that is just kill circuit. I will try the switch connections and taking the plug boot off tomorrow. Also I may need to check this new stator to make sure it isnt bad. Do you know how to test or what the readings should be?

Thanks again for all your help

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I just have a 2001 manual for the 50,but the stator specs should be the same. Red lead on tester to black wire: black to w/r 450 ohms, black to blk/red 800 ohms, black to y/r 0.5 ohms, black to white 0.6,black to ground 0 ohms(no continuity)Also check the etc switch contacts in the throttle housing! This is one of the tests mentioned on weak or no spark also. The throttle cable must be adjusted to where they don't touch!!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT- Can you give me more detail on the etc contacts and how to adjust or how it should be adjusted? I noticed I did have some play in the throttle and when I looked the throttle cable had been pulled out of the housing some. I put it back in but I think this could be part of the problem since it has maybe stretched and pulled out. I still have some slop in the throttle. Just wanna make sure I know where to check and that I have it adjusted correctly before I go digging deeper. I still think it has to be something small and simple like this since most all components are new.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The throttle cable adjuster is down from the housing in a rubber sleeve usually. Adjust the cable to where you barely have any thumb throttle slack. Pull the top cover on the throttle housing and you will see the contacts. Just make sure they're not touching.

Quick Reply: Help with Polaris Predator 50 - Not Firing