Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Magnum 330 Pull Start Needs Battery to Work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Magnum 330 Pull Start Needs Battery to Work?

I just came home with a 2003 Magnum 330 2x4. The ad was a little deceiving as the pic showed a Magnum 4x4 335 on the plastics...turns out the seller had switched the plastics so it less of a machine than I thought...but it still looks like fun.

My immediate concern (among several) is that he says it needs a battery hooked up to even be able to pull start it, which he demonstrated to me was true. He used a battery from one of his other toys so I did not get to keep it. Now I am at home and wondering if there is some way to bypass or even connect the battery cables so this thing will at least pull start. I do not want to run out and get another battery right now for $100. can be satisfied to pull start it.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Get a battery! Price of the battery is cheap compared to what a voltage surge can do to electronic modules!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I will get the battery. The seller did not know if it was the solenoid or starter that was problematic, or maybe both. He said with a battery hooked up, it makes a clicking sound but does nothing else, particularly not starting.

Also, it will shift into high gear, but not every time. With the motor running and the pedal depressed, it either goes right into high, or makes a grinding sound and does not go in. He said if it does not go right in, he found if he shifts to reverse first, then shifts to high gear that it goes right in most of the time. I tried that a few times and it did work. The motor is smooth, quiet, no smoke so I think I am safe there. I paid $600 for it and I am trying not have too much buyer's remorse.

Keith

Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gottaroost
Ok I will get the battery. The seller did not know if it was the solenoid or starter that was problematic, or maybe both. He said with a battery hooked up, it makes a clicking sound but does nothing else, particularly not starting.

Also, it will shift into high gear, but not every time. With the motor running and the pedal depressed, it either goes right into high, or makes a grinding sound and does not go in. He said if it does not go right in, he found if he shifts to reverse first, then shifts to high gear that it goes right in most of the time. I tried that a few times and it did work. The motor is smooth, quiet, no smoke so I think I am safe there. I paid $600 for it and I am trying not have too much buyer's remorse.

Keith
If it's just clicking on you,jump the two posts on the solenoid by the battery and see if the starter works. If it doesn't then it's possible the starter is bad. Also with a volt meter/test light make sure the starter wire on the solenoid is receiving battery voltage when you hit the start button. If the solenoid is ok starters are fairly cheap here. DB Electrical - Polaris
The gear shifter is pretty straight forward,but make sure the linkage at the shift end and the belcrank arm on the gear case are tight. If it's not trying to creep on you in gear at an idle(clutch problems) the hard to engage forward gear could be because of the spring's not pulling the detent lockout plunger down on the gear case. Some times the spring jumps off.
Item#28. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse