Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on adjusting the valves on my 500 SP and when I put the feeler gauge in there it seems that they are actually to tight? I have been driving this for 3 years and I assumed that if anything they would be loose. I have read the manual over and over and I think I'm doing this correctly.
Trying to get ready for the April 1st ride.
Sparke

Old 03-25-2001, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just had a similar problem with an older Honda TRX-300. When I checked the intake side, no problem, quick and easy adjustment. I went to check the exhaust, I could't get a feeler in. I don't know the engine that your working on, is it OHC, or pushrod. If your checking while 180 degrees out, you can have the problem you decribed on both types of engine, due to the valve overlap. Sounds like your problem to me. Try checking opposit from where you think you should be acording to the manual. The honda, as most major manufacturers, have an automatic camchain tensioneron OHC engines. On the engine I was working on, the camchain had so much slack in it, the tensioner could not do it's job. Instead of the engine markings, I had to use a dile indicator in the head, and a degree wheel on the crank. I doubt your engine has ware to this extent, being a much newer machine. I had to rotate the cam back a hair when the crank was in the proper spot. The chain couldn't keep the cam in perfect timing with the crank, while working against the valve sprrings.
Don't know if any of this will help, good luck.

Old 03-25-2001, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

That can happen on an Exhaust valve...
If the seat starts wearing, the valve tip will actually be futher up.. thereby CLOSING the gap between the rocker arm and valve... If that gap gets too close or gone entirely, serious engine damage can occur. Valve clearance aids in valve cooling time.. Take that cooling time away and what you end up with is a burnt valve.

Old 03-25-2001, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

The chain tightener is fine so I'm going to go ahead and finish the job, and put it back together. Thanks for the input.
Sparke