Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Throttle sticking on 200 Xplorer 250

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle sticking on 200 Xplorer 250

For some reason the throttle is sticking open. It’s not the cable binding up, because I can sometimes flick the thumb throttle to get it to return to idle. The cable works fine. The carburetor has been vatted, cleaned and re-installed by a Polaris tech.
It doesn’t happen all the time. Usually only when it is in neutral and I rev it up to warm the bike.
At times I have to turn on the choke to get it to idle back down so I can put it into gear without grinding. It has never happened while riding.

Ideas?

bob

Old 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd pull the carb cap and check the carb slide out for any burrs or rough places on it plus inside the carb bore that may cause sticking. This cable splits to go to the oil pump also and you might check for any binding at the pump cable,routing of the throttle cable itself. The throttle cable junction end on some models can be taken apart to check the cable slide. Even the thumb lever itself can cause sticking,just pop the throttle housing cap and check it out. One thing not carb related is a leaking crank seal that can cause one to rev up because of sucking air and running lean under a no load situation. Usually it's the one behind the front clutch. Several things to check out as to the cause of the binding,sticking or revving up. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cable isn’t sticking at the throttle end. It’s loose and I can blip the throttle, even though it doesn’t do any good as far as slowing down the idle. The only thing that does that is applying the choke.
I’ll check the carb slide.
Thanks.