Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Hawkeye Bogs on over half throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Polaris Tech is right, sometimes we dig to deep when the problem can be something as simple as replacing the needle and seat. Also I assume you've put fresh fuel in it? You might even try some fuel cleaner to help with any issues in the lines.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Needle and seat replaced and no change. This is getting stupid. I've Gone over the carb 3 times now- believe me it's clean. Still bogs over half throttle, sometimes backfires, Pulls fine at low speeds. I did a timing light check at high rpm and get good spark. So it has to be fuel right? Can the CID or wiring be the issue-as in CID ignition advance failure? I've pulled the front cover and found someone has bypasses the reverse over ride. A anyone have a schematic I can use?

Thanks for your input, never did hear back from original post from dontpushit.
I won't sleep till I fix this thing!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like time for a manual to eliminate any electrical problems that could be the cause.Don't know what year model you have,but several on Ebay from $9.95 up.Hard to find any free pdf manuals on this machine.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-POLARIS-HAWKEYE-300-4X2-ATV-REPAIR-MANUAL-/300914338406?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item460fe46a66&vxp=mtr

Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've got the exact same issue as NewfieTech’s Hawkeye. My issues just started on my wife’s 2006 Hawkeye. I haven't taken the carb off to clean it yet but that’s tonight’s plan. What I’ve done so far is a new spark plug (which is now black), fuel filters, checked vent hoses and fuel lines, blown out the fuel lines and fuel pump.
My wife’s Hawkeye was running great prior to a ride a few weeks back where while out, gas started pouring over the hot engine. It looked like it was coming out of the float bowl overflow drain hose. I turned off the gas to stop the flow. Once we towed it back to the house I noticed the float bowl drain screw was missing...WEIRD!!! Anyways I thought a new drain screw and all will be up and running but this is where all the same symptoms as NewfieTech’s Hawkeye come into play with ours. I think with the tow back without the drain screw in maybe dirt got in there and a good carb clean will do the trick. If not I will be on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what fixed NewfieTech’s Hawkeye.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

On the earlier Hawkeyes, some riders put the air filters on backwards & results were same as described.

????

Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I took the carb off and cleaned it very well. Did not change the needle or seat yet. All parts look clean and in great shape. Hawkeye only has 412 miles on it and not abused. Put it all back together and still has a bog at 3/4 throttle under load and NOW in neutral too... BUT the plastics and more important the air box is removed. I did this to get better access to remove the carb. Could the bogging now simply be because the air box is removed and the carb is getting too much air? I didn't put the rear plastics back on because I thought I'd be back into the carb with a new needle and seat or a Dyno-kit or re-jet to 127.5 as another guy did on another thread.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Air box off allows too much air and can lean it out,causing the bogging. Replace the needle and seat or the jet kit since you've gone this far and install the air box back on and see how it does.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Air box off allows too much air and can lean it out,causing the bogging. Replace the needle and seat or the jet kit since you've gone this far and install the air box back on and see how it does.
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank O.P.T. for "bailing me out" again. I put my old hawkeye back together after replacing the fuel pump, and tried running it with just the air filter on without re-installing the plastic and air box. Just like he said,,it bogs if you open the throttle quickly. I started, idled, and revved just fine, but I put it in gear and nailed it,and it bogged big time. Thought I had something else wrong,,,"what now" !*#. Thanks again to OPT and all the helpful folks on this site. Gary

Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see this is an older thread but I recently had a very similar problem on my 2008 Sportsman 300 and found many threads on the issue but no posts on the final solution for similar problems so I wanted to share what mine was. Went out riding recently and once we got out in the woods the quad would bog down after about half throttle and was getting worse and worse. This quad never burned oil or had any other issues but I pulled the plug and it was black. It was getting gas buy not burning it. Put in a new plug and it started, idled and got going fine but sputtered and bogged down quickly after 1/3 to half throttle. Limped it back 10 miles at 12mph as anything over that made it cut out. Pulled carb and it was clean. Cleaned it anyway and made no difference. Had tons of possible ideas swirling in my head of what could cause this but in the end it turns out that the throttle cable had come out of adjustment causing the ETC to engage and turn off or limit the ignition. On the throttle cable a few inches out of the throttle assembly there is a simple adjuster. There is a small black locknut to keep the cable locked tight in the proper adjustment and mine had come loose allowing the cable to get out of adjustment causing the ETC to engage. I couldn't believe how simple it was after racking my brain for a week trying to figure this out. I now have cable adjusted properly and the locknut tight, and the quad runs great. Remember if you had this problem to change the oil as there is a good chance that excess fuel got into the oil through the cylinder and compromised the oil. Hope this helps someone out there!