Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Hawkeye Bogs on over half throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Hawkeye Bogs on over half throttle

Hi im Tristan

I brought a hawkeye from auction last week done a bit of work to it, been reading threw threads like no tomorrow. The problem i have now is it wont REV, its good down low, took it for a ride earlier but it wont rev in neutral forward or reverse.

gets to id say about 3500 4000 then drops like 1000 rpm then picks up again. it will rev higher on half throttle.

I have been in the Carb already i leaned the mixture with the jet Cir-clip so much that when u put throttle down it would stall instant. It was a bit richer it is set now, this has helped a bit but there is still something wrong.

I also re levelled the fuel bowl cause it was over full and leaking out the bottom

fixed a starter drive problem

The gear selector was broken so i have just bridged neutral out.

when i pull the throttle on there seems to be heaps of fuel for it looking into the carb, thats why i tried leaning it out.

Oh idles ok

Tomorrow i will be cutting the black wire to the ignition comp to see if its related to the revers speed cut.....

Please help i have been on this all day reading and others seem to have had this prob but no solution so far that i have found online.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you haven't replaced the needle and seat,it could be as simple as this since you've had flooding problems. Plus a full service,air filter,new plug,oil and filter,valve clearance check. Who knows if this has ever been done since it was at an auction?Just start at the basics and eliminate one thing at a time. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks old polaris tech, i have just been reading about the 500 sportsman and its exhaust cam problem, i think im going to check fuel tomorrow, apparently the valve can become blocked.

It was an ex mining bike so it would have been looked after well, it looks like someone had been into the jet, when i leaned the jet off it would almost not run at all but when i ritchened it up it made the bog worse.

if its an electrical Spark/problem that i can when it starts to bog down spray aero start to see if it lean, that will rule out any spark problems,

i have already tried pulling the choke on. i think there is enough fuel because it didnt seem to run out when i was reving it, and looking in to the carb also. when i put the power on there was the mist in tha carb but it didnt seem to suck it in.

that black wire as a last resort
i think it could be the exhaust cam altho my bike does not back fire,

anyone had this problem before id be happy for the answer haha

Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok Update

so today i checked out the Camshaft exhaust is under spec by 0.02mm if i that right haha cant remember and Intake lobe was over min spec by 0.02mm so they are warn.

also exhaust was gapped at 0.012 not 0.006 so i re gapped it to 0.004 to make up that the lobe was under

also new spk plg

So i fired it up still no mojo was a bit better responce tho.

So out of ideas i tryed somthing simple like putting my had over part of the intake, with 35% covered its alive, so i put the jet to max put the lid on the box and its alive

So next im going to put a bigger jet in becasue i think its still a bit sluggish

Runs well tho

Thanks for all the guys on the forum that have posted their problems

Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you were testing this with the air box lid off it will be leaner. Same thing on the 500 engines.If you take the air box lid off most of them they will just bog down.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same issue. I did a full service and all is better.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have same problem with a hawkey 300. Runs well low speed, over half throttle bogs down. Strong spark (checked with timing light) timing fine. Idles fine. Starts fine. Carb is clean as a whistle. Spark arrester clear. Same condition with or without air filter and cover in place.. Fuel pump works. Filter clear. Fuel sample look fine. HELP!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you just cleaned the carb and didn't replace the needle and seat could be part of the problem,plus make vents are clear. Recheck that the jet needle clip and spring are correct. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...009&fveh=30498

Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT. I'll give that a whirl, I've never encountered this before. Needle and seat normally cause flood condition which is not what I'm experiencing here. Let you know next week.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Even though you said you cleaned the carb all it takes is a little piece of dirt/trash or even little black specs from fuel lines eroding internally that can cause partial blockages in the jets or even under the needle in the seat,slowing down fuel flow to the bowl.This could be part of the problem.I've had this happens several times on the crappy ethanol fuel we have today.Just a thought. If the carb/fuel supply is eliminated as the cause,don't over look any restrictions from the air filter,fuel tank vent or carb vent that could be causing a vapor lock.

Quick Reply: 2010 Hawkeye Bogs on over half throttle