Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I'm confused , should i get an Explorer or Scrambler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the specks earlier on the explorer400 vs. the scram 400 4x4 and they were very similar.Same basic diminsions,concentric chain rear, shaft front, 400cc 2 stroke the only thing i saw different was tire size, low gear on explorer, racks on explorer and different plastic. I always hear that the explorer is very fast so is it just a scram w/racks and a low gear? So i need help compairing the two as far as speed, handaling, accelleration, sporty feel, ect. I was wanting a scram but was gonna have to put on fender extensions and racks anyways so should i just get an explorer and get over the bad looks. I guess low gear and not having to spend $350 on raks and fenders would be nice. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-25-2001, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

The Xplorer is a utility quad and the Scrambler a Sports quad. Handling is much, much, much sportier on the Scrambler. It all depends on the type of riding you wil be doing?

Old 03-26-2001, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again,Xplor is correct.The Scram does not have a low range.If you will be doing any pulling,towing,or work related doings,this would be something to keep in mind.

I haul alot of firewood[17cf trailor]up muddy hills with my Xplorer,it handles chores very well,this is not something I would want to put a belt driven ATV thru without a low range.

On the other hand,the Scrambler is a sportier ATV for biting/riding/cornering your way thru the tight woods.Just keep in mind what you are trying to do with your choice of ATVs and go from there,
Bill

Old 03-26-2001, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I've had two Scramblers ( 97 500 and a 99 400) and I am now riding a 2000 Xplorer 400. Scrambler is a sportier bike made more for trail riding and play, other than that it's not worth much. It doesn't have a low gear and you get incredibly dirty riding it. I switched to an Xplorer last year and I am happy. It doesn't look nearly as good as the Scrambler, not quite as fast but its still very fast for a utility quad, probably one of, it not the fastest utility quad on the market. Xplorer goes through much more mud than the SCrambler, you can haul more and it has a hitch so you can tow things. Either way you're getting a good bike.

Old 03-27-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

The engine is the same, and the frames are very similar. I guess in my opinion, the Xplorer is a Scrambler with Low range, front & rear racks, and somewhat less front suspension travel.
The low range and racks (plus misc. brackets under the racks) add weight which affects handling.
Also, the Scrambler DOES have a few aluminum pieces on it to shave a little weight, plus I think a slightly less restrictive pipe, so it should outrun and outhandle an Xplorer.

I my Xplorer and it will do about 60 or so, so it is no slouch, but it is not the equal to a Scrambler 400 for speed. However, you can't haul much on a Scrambler, nor can you pull much without low range.

Old 03-27-2001, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

The way I see it, comparing an Xplorer to a Scrambler is like comparing a Honda 400ex to a Honda Foreman 400... The two quads are worlds apart.

The handling over rough terrain at highly aggressive speeds is much better on the Scrambler. But for mudding or going on expeditions/hunting/working through rough, rocky, muddy or hilly trails the Xplorer is superior. But don't expect a sports-quad feeling.

I have always said this and will say it again; My Scrambler with the EPI cltch kit had as much low end grunt as my Xplorer. It was amazing for navigating harsh trails in the woods/mountains. Maybe not for working or riding 2-up though.

Ground clearance and bigger tires are great on the Xplorer for normal trail riding. The smaller tires on the Scrambler are great for fast trail riding but hit harder on rocks and get stuck more in mud.

Scrambler-->Agressive trail riding, light work.
Xplorer--->Swift trail riding, heavy work.

Go test ride both and you will see a big difference!