Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

changing the oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing the oil

hey
I just recently got a 1999 Polaris Scrambler 500. the previous owner said he hasn't changed the oils in a few years. what oil should I use in the motor and the diff? I am new to this so any info is greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

A few years!! Easiest way is to drain the oil tank 9/16" drain plug. Leave the oil filter on.After the tank has drained, crank the engine for 15 seconds and kill it! Then approx 8 ounces in the engine sump will drain into the oil tank then out into the pan.Then remove the filter and replace and install 2 quarts of 0w40 Mobil1,Amsoil,or any good 5w40 or 5w50 synthetic oil. Your brand preference is ok as long as its Synthetic. My own Rotella T6 5w40 at Wallyworld. Cheaper than some of the synthetics in most cases.
IF the oil is really dark,I'd remove the screen from the oil tank.Remove the hose coming from the engine to the oil tank fitting,use a big pair of vice grips or a crescent wrench and unscrew this fitting from the tank. Clean the screen filter,use some teflon tape or plumbers sealant on the threads and screw back in. If you remove the fitting, before you start the engine, replace the dip stick,clamp off the vent line at the top of the oil tank close to the fitting.Crank it and let run a couple minutes or so,remove the clamp and a lot of times you will hear a hiss of air. This helps to prime the oil pump quickly. I'd also check the valve clearance (.006 intake and exhaust) and also the exhaust lobe for wear as this was within the year model range of soft cam lobes.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
A few years!! Easiest way is to drain the oil tank 9/16" drain plug. Leave the oil filter on.After the tank has drained, crank the engine for 15 seconds and kill it! Then approx 8 ounces in the engine sump will drain into the oil tank then out into the pan.Then remove the filter and replace and install 2 quarts of 0w40 Mobil1,Amsoil,or any good 5w40 or 5w50 synthetic oil. Your brand preference is ok as long as its Synthetic. My own Rotella T6 5w40 at Wallyworld. Cheaper than some of the synthetics in most cases.
IF the oil is really dark,I'd remove the screen from the oil tank.Remove the hose coming from the engine to the oil tank fitting,use a big pair of vice grips or a crescent wrench and unscrew this fitting from the tank. Clean the screen filter,use some teflon tape or plumbers sealant on the threads and screw back in. If you remove the fitting, before you start the engine, replace the dip stick,clamp off the vent line at the top of the oil tank close to the fitting.Crank it and let run a couple minutes or so,remove the clamp and a lot of times you will hear a hiss of air. This helps to prime the oil pump quickly. I'd also check the valve clearance (.006 intake and exhaust) and also the exhaust lobe for wear as this was within the year model range of soft cam lobes.
wow... really? all that for an oil change on an atv? changing the oil in my car isnt even that bad... but i guess if u wanna play u gotta work to have a lil fun.. has anyone does this? or do they have any other ways of doing it?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Dry sump engines are a little more involved than wet sump oil changes. If you reach under the side of the engine by the prop shaft to remove the sump plug that's right against it,next time you'll leave it in and let it pump out of the oil tank! You don't have to remove the oil tank screen and prime the pump on normal changes,just on ones like the poster mentioned above that the oil hadn't been changed in years! Normal oil changes on the 500 just require draining the remote tank,cranking it up for about 10 seconds and killing it and the sump(8 ounces) will drain from the oil tank,replace the oil filter and two fresh quarts of oil.Once you do it,the next time will be a snap. Wet sump engines(325,330,700, 800,etc) you just have the oil drain plug,new filter and oil..

Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

ok well i probably should do it this way too because i just picked up a scrammy from my sister.. its a 99 500 4x4 and i dont think the oil has been changed in a while.. the wheeler sat for a couple years that i know of. the bike runs great though, but i check the oil often and the oil looks alright just a lil thin.. so maybe i should do a thorough oil change.. wouldnt hurt right

Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Be sure to use a good synthetic in the range mentioned,0w40,5w40 or 5w50. Plus check the valve clearance and especially for any wear on the exhaust cam lobe as the "soft" cam problem on the 500 engines was from 1996 to 2000 models.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Trailblazer

good call on the shell rotella T6 synthetic diesel engine oil OPT
if that oil withstand the stresses and friction of a large displacement diesel engine , a small 4 cylinder atv engine is a walk in the park for this excellent oil

Last edited by hermie; 07-28-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: added OPT
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Be sure to use a good synthetic in the range mentioned,0w40,5w40 or 5w50. Plus check the valve clearance and especially for any wear on the exhaust cam lobe as the "soft" cam problem on the 500 engines was from 1996 to 2000 models.
how do i check this? and is a valve adjustment hard to do on these machines? i dont know if it needs one but i would want to make sure.. cause i want this one to last me..

Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

unbolt the fuel tank , then set it aside , the engine cylinder is right underneath the fuel tank
pull of the spark plug wire , remove the spark plug , there should be 4 to 6 bolts holding the cylinder head cover on .

Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hermie
unbolt the fuel tank , then set it aside , the engine cylinder is right underneath the fuel tank
pull of the spark plug wire , remove the spark plug , there should be 4 to 6 bolts holding the cylinder head cover on .
Thanks man . I will remember that.

Quick Reply: changing the oil