Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 trailblazer no electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 trailblazer no electrical power

I recently bought a 1999 trailblazer project. It has absolutely no electrical power to anything, no indicator lights, no headlights, no electric start. there is a box beside the battery that a red wire from the battery goes to, and screws to the top screw, and then another red wire screwed to a bottom screw in the box and goes to im guessing the starter. If I hook up a battery charger/jump starter and hook the negative to the battery, and touch the positive to the bottom screw on the box it turns over. I doesn't start, but that's because it has low compression so im planning on a top end rebuild, but that's another story. I just want to get the electric start working first, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to me, that's just a matter of tracing the wiring harness/loom and checking the quick connects for good termination. making sure the battery is fully charged, and using an ohm meter/voltmeter to check for juice from battery through inline fuse to up and around ignition switch, to solenoid, down to starter, etc.....then making sure the slider kill switches ain't active killing everything. wiring up/down the handlebar downtube and under the headlight....lots of places to look for deficiencies.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You don't have to double post! Check out the sealed circuit breaker up from the battery. Bad about corrosion/shorting out,not allowing power to the switch,lights,etc. Part#3 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry about the double post, new on here lol. I checked the circuit breaker, and it has power on both sides, there is power all the way up to a box mounted in front of the handle bars. I have a service manual on the way, so hopefully that will help me out. but in the mean time any more tips or suggestions?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

man if i were you, i'd trace the wires and find it. i mean, getting a manual is all good and everything, but the book ain't gonna tell you exactly where the problem is gonna be. tracing out wires and using your ohm meter/voltmeter is where you're gonna find it. the book may say check "X" and "Y", but your problem could be between "X" and "Y". like, X's output to Y's input---a loose terminal connection. all the book is gonna say is "check connection on X and Y". yeah, duh, doing that. see my point? don't get me wrong, the manual is gonna be a handy tool and good to have, BUT, you're also gonna have to trace wires.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Jaster94, yeah I see your point, I just thought maybe since nothing at all works, there might be something simple to check first, just like the circuit breaker. Thanks for the input, hopefully this weekend I can start tracing wires.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

Had a similar problem and it was the kill switch. Just worked it back and forth a bunch and got it working.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lowflyer
Had a similar problem and it was the kill switch. Just worked it back and forth a bunch and got it working.
that's true. .sometimes it is as simple as either kill switch...whether the kill at the key or the slider switch-both are suspect at this point.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

I unplugged the two connectors right where they plug into the kill switch assembly on the handlebars, I did not have and power going to them when I checked them with the test light. there is obviously suppose to be power running through some of the terminals on the connectors when the ignition is on right? So Im thinking the kill switch is not the issue. correct me if Im wrong

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Check that you have constant power to one wire at the ignition switch connector. If you do,it's possible you have a switch problem or a short in the harness that has to be traced down.

Quick Reply: 1999 trailblazer no electrical power