Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD switch : is it mechanical or electrical ? should it click in / click out ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD switch : is it mechanical or electrical ? should it click in / click out ?

EDIT: Add yr mk model, 1994 Polaris 300 4x4

Hi - I am in the process of hunting down electrical issues related to the th AWD, neutral safety and reverse override switches. For now though, I think that I have a simple question, only about the AWD button:

Should the AWD (4x4) thumb switch mechanically "click" in/on, then "click" out/off each time it is depressed? I'm not asking anything about hubs or what the rest of the system should do when it is on or off, i just want to figure out if the reason that my AWD button doesn't always stay 'locked in' is because of the physical switch or if it is part of the electrical issues?

Last edited by laterongc; 06-08-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add yr mk model
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The entire system is electro/mechanical. The switch is entirely electrical,sends 12 volts to the awd coil which pulls the armature plate back against it which frees the hilliard assy and "arms" it so to speak to be ready to lock into the hub in when the rear tires slip. If it's kicking in and out it could be just needing a fluid change if you haven't done so in a while, a worn armature plate or weak awd coil causing the problem or even a bad ground especially if you have a 2000 model or later that has the limiter and awd connections going through the speedo. Here's one guy's "fix" if you do.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT - thanks so much for replying and the link. I'm not sure if I did a good job in explaining my question (although all of your info is still very helpful).

Currently, I can push the AWD button, and the light on the button (AWD) will light up and the hub will engage. However, 90% of the time the instant that I let off of the button (thumb AWD button), the AWD ligth will go out. Contrast this with what happens on the rare occasions that it stays lit (after letting thumb off switch), the button seems to physically stay 'in', until you press it again, then it pops "out" and light goes off. The latter situation seems to how it should work.

So I wasn't sure if it was an issue with the physical switch not working (pop in, pop out)... essentially a physical switch issues (not electrical).

Does this make any sense?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Understand now. If the button physically wont stay in,easy just to replace it or could even be a short in the bulb connection at the rear of the push button switch. The light has to work on the older models for the awd to work.. Here's a 96 Sportsman 500,you never said what model you had.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse A lot of aftermarket places don't have this now.Either Ebay for a used one or the dealer for an expensive new one if needed.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT - thanks for your info! I just edited first post for model, but here is what have
EDIT: Add yr mk model, 1994 Polaris 300 4x4

When I get some more time I'll look into switch some more. I'm wondering if maybe it just needs some cleaning or lube of some sort (because every so often it does work).

I'll plan to disconnect battery before I do anything with switch - any suggestions on how to clean/inspect and/or perhaps more importantly what NOT to use or do?

Old 06-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Back of the switch has a small bulb,has slots to remove it with a small screw driver. Just check the small metal contact strips that the bulb locks into to make sure it's getting a good contact. Your 94 model takes the same switch as the 96 models if a new one is needed. You don't have to remove the battery,just have the ignition off.