Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'03 Sportsman 700 Ignition Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Sportsman 700 Ignition Recommendation

Greetings to all! New member but I've been reading this forum for a while, fixing up an '03 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Carb) I bought earlier this summer. I'll start with a big thank you for all the info everyone's put on here, it's been extremely helpful!

I recently replaced my water/oil pump seals, and when I put it back together, no spark (it ran fine prior to disassembly)

I've seen a bunch of posts on the Ducati ignition systems where Old Polaris Tech recommends replacing the whole system with the Kokusan if the CDI is bad. ($500 kit vs $250+ CDI, seems like a reasonable gamble)

But, from what I can tell so far (Still diagnosing), my stator is toast (I'm getting an open circuit when testing the stator coil that connects to the CDI...Bn to Yellow).

Would y'all scrap the whole system over a bad stator, or is that just if the CDI is bad? Seems like I can get a stator for $100 to $150, which is a lot cheaper than the Kokusan kit, so it doesn't seem like as clear cut of a decision to scrap the whole system. ($500 vs $100 is pretty steep).

Any Thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't even mess with the Ducati system as it's junk!If you can find new/used parts,something else in this system will continue going out and leave you stranded! I've been down that road years ago! Just order the 2202602 Kokusan replacement ignition kit. This is the pdf installation instructions,look it over. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWM&cad=rja

Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the ignition system and now when I start it the speedo pegs all the way to the right and theres a warning that flashes Stator. It runs a lot better but I am baffled with this warning. I have tried reversing the 2 wires from the stator. The 2 yellows with the red stripe but it still flashes on and off. Also seems like the trip meter is a bit off. Went up the street and back and read .3 miles. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine is an 03 SP 600 by the way.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Just retrace your steps on the ignition instructions and make sure all grounds are secure. I've found this to be the case where people have replaced their own kits and grounding was their main problem. You can also pull the connector from the speedo for a couple minutes and see if it helps.Plus pull one lead from the battery itself and see if this helps reset the speedo if you've eliminated all other areas on the stator,cdi and regulator harness...

Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with OPT and check the ground. If I remember correctly, the directions on where to attach the ground were unclear. Also, the jumper wire info was a little sketchy too....I never had any issues after I did the install.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT: Thanks for the advice. Got the new ignition system in, and it runs like a champ...unfortunately now it's dumping coolant from the weep hole on the water pump (I originally damaged the stator while removing the flywheel in an attempt to replace the water pump seal)....this is turning into an expensive "do it myself and save some cash" but hopefully I'll have this thing solid in the next couple weeks.

Palerider: In case you are still working on yours...when I did the ingition kit on mine, in addition to the new/confusing ground, there was a red wire (coming from bundle on quad near cdi) that I had to use for the new kit, that the previous kit didnt use. Not sure if this could affect what you're working on, but if needed, let me know and I'll go out and take a pic of what I"m talking about.