Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997 Sportsman 500 oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Sportsman 500 oil change?

I just changed the oil on my 97' sportsman 500 and after doing so I am reading things about cleaning a sump screen? These posts are all on newer sportsmans though. Does mine have a sump screen that I need to clean if so how do I do it on this old of bike? I just spent $50 on the oil change and hate to have to re do it but the oil that came out was black and if I missed a step I want to do it correctly.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you want to waste money you've already spent,Id wait until next oil change. 8 ounces of oil is left in the sump if you don't either pull the sump plug to drain it OR crank the engine up for 10 seconds,kill it which forces the sump oil in and out of the remote tank. This pdf manual can show you what to do on the next oil change as far as cleaning the oil tank screen and priming the pump,along with regular maintenance and repair help on any future problems. Plus this model falls in the soft heat treated cams from 1996 to 2000 model 500s that plagued quite a few machines.The manual shows you how to check/adjust the valves and also how to inspect the cam lobes.http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...96%20-%202001/

Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did crank the machine to get the remaining oil out of the case but I am talking about cleaning the screen? I don't know where this is or what it is? or how to do it?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by yzman720
I did crank the machine to get the remaining oil out of the case but I am talking about cleaning the screen? I don't know where this is or what it is? or how to do it?
The oil line at the bottom of the tank has to be removed,the fitting removed and the end inside the tank has a screen filter on it that can be cleaned,then reassembled,then you pinch off the very top tank vent line with vicegrips to help prime the pump when starting. You run it a couple minutes and release the vice grips,BUT not now unless you want to drain the oil again! Hard to see on this pic,but it's #13 on the fitting with the mesh screen. Down load the manual link I gave you,study it and you can do it at the next oil change.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Sportsman 500 oil change?-images.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok here's the deal I rechanged my oil this time taking the screen out since it has never been clean since I bought it in 1997. (regret doing it as there was nothing on it)
but now I try to "prime" the pump and I hear nothing like the whooshing sound of air that is described on here. a side note my pull starter rope is broke and has little noisy rattle to it so don't know if I could even hear it over that or if i'm not doing it correctly. I am squeezing the upper hose while the bike is running with needle nose. My question is how important is this? If I let it idle for along time will it do this automatically? I am to the point I am scarred to even run the bike not wanting to lock it up if i'm doing something wrong?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Unless you want to waste money you've already spent,Id wait until next oil change. 8 ounces of oil is left in the sump if you don't either pull the sump plug to drain it OR crank the engine up for 10 seconds,kill it which forces the sump oil in and out of the remote tank. This pdf manual can show you what to do on the next oil change as far as cleaning the oil tank screen and priming the pump,along with regular maintenance and repair help on any future problems. Plus this model falls in the soft heat treated cams from 1996 to 2000 model 500s that plagued quite a few machines.The manual shows you how to check/adjust the valves and also how to inspect the cam lobes.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/1996 - 2001
When you say " crank the engine " do you mean run it for ten seconds with no oil in it ?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by yzman720
ok here's the deal I rechanged my oil this time taking the screen out since it has never been clean since I bought it in 1997. (regret doing it as there was nothing on it)
but now I try to "prime" the pump and I hear nothing like the whooshing sound of air that is described on here. a side note my pull starter rope is broke and has little noisy rattle to it so don't know if I could even hear it over that or if i'm not doing it correctly. I am squeezing the upper hose while the bike is running with needle nose. My question is how important is this? If I let it idle for along time will it do this automatically? I am to the point I am scarred to even run the bike not wanting to lock it up if i'm doing something wrong?
A lot of times the screen is clean if you do regular oil changes. When you clamp off the vent line it needs to be close to the oil tank as there is a slit in the hose about 1 1/2- 2 inches out by the factory for condensation/ice build up relief in the vent line. Run the engine for a couple minutes. This procedure just forces oil quicker into the pump by eliminating fresh air to be drawn into the oil tank. Sometimes you can hear air hiss from the tank,sometimes not when you release the vice grips,but the pump is primed.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Yooper265
When you say " crank the engine " do you mean run it for ten seconds with no oil in it ?
After you drain the oil tank, leave the oil filter on,run the engine for about 10 seconds only,then kill it. Won't hurt the engine as it still has a film of oil on the internal parts. All this does is force the remaining oil in the sump(approx 8 ounces) into the oil tank where it then drains out into the pan.Then you can pull the old filter off and install a new one and fresh oil. "IF" you'd rather pull the sump drain plug that's on the side of the engine that's right up against the prop shaft go right ahead! I learned this short cut from a Polaris engineer years ago and stopped bothering with the sump drain plug.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a video how to do it. Year does not matter.
I do not bother with the crank case drain plug,I just run the motor for 20 seconds and get it out through the oil tank as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good video.Loved how he had oil running down his hand removing the sump plug,I usually had it running almost to my elbow if I didn't have a shop towel handy.. Do this a few times and you'll just bypass pulling the sump plug on future oil changes.

Quick Reply: 1997 Sportsman 500 oil change?